Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that katas can emphasizes different principles, that don't always relate to hand to hand conflicts.

As self defence katas from a blunt stick will need to draw from a different set of tools and movements, that need different principles, such as being calm, strong and quick.

As self defence against a sword with forearm blocks isn't going to work, ideally each kata needs a rhyme and reason for its existence.

Whereas if my opponent is alot taller than myself then my movements need to adapt, same holds true if my opponent is alot smaller yet physically stronger.

Katas are perfect for a perfect world where all things are equal, as we know in combat, everything is far from perfect and equal in a fight, thefore the kata might be about being out numbered or regaining oneself to continue fighting.

As katas are made to be practiced with perfection in mind, then to know and understand its original purpose, is worth while looking in to, because I can assure you, everything that exists has a purpose, knowingly or not; more so if your life is in danger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: