Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as it stands now, no one can.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will be ever see the Gee worn in UFC again? Reply with quote

tdiedwards wrote:
As far as I know, it would still be allowed. Has it been universally abandoned by the athletes forever?

They are not allowed. So no, you will never see them again.

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely that you'll never see it again in mainstream MMA promotions, no- but if you want to see fighting under an MMA-like ruleset with gis worn, look for some variants of full-contact sport jujutsu.
The level of competition isn't very high, but it is there if that's what you're looking for.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those forms of ju jitsu competitions are popular in Europe, so Ive heard.

Fun to watch, as people get a chance to attempt to use the other facets of their game, but yes, low level jiu jitsu

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shootfighting, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned, the gi is now illegal in UFC, but it was legal in PRIDE and was worn by some fighters, especially judoka like Hidehiko Yoshida. I would guess it's legal in DREAM as well.

The gi can be used to the advantage of the fighter wearing it when the other is not because the extra friction makes it harder to escape submissions, pummel for underhooks, escape from side control or mount, or posture up and disengage a tight guard.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor advantages, I must say. Sakuraba vs Gracie was a clinic of why NOT to wear a gi in MMA anymore.

Works well against unskilled grapplers, but against a good groundfighter, you're just making things much harder on yourself

JAKEHE3078
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go up against somebody wearing a single weave gi. Much easier to grip. Although Im pretty sure gis are not allowed, shoes are not allowed, nor are t-shirts in many sanctioned events.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forbidding a gi and the like in the UFC as well as in other MMA leagues eliminates excuses about a loss. Mano e mano!

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer seems fairly obvious ... no. To mirror MMA Jim's statement, you are at a tactical disadvantage wearing a gi. I just started grappling a few weeks ago and I''m ready to abandon my gi pants, belt, t-shirt outfit in favor of shorts and tight-fitting athletic style short. I'd go shirtless but no one else is.

The gi offers to many places for your opponent to grab. I can't count the number of times I wasn't able to transition from a side mount to a full mount because someone had a good grip on my belt.

I suspect that banning the gi was a good way to keep a level playing field. Some people probably abandoned their gi the second they realized that they were at a disadvantage. Others may have refused to abandon the gi due to feeling of disrespecting their art... just my opinion.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've just started BJJ don't be do quick to aboandon the gi just yet. It slows the game down, makes your technique much tighter, and lets you work things that you'll never be exposed to if you train no-gi all the time.

I started training no-gi and have found that alot of improvements in my game can be traced back to putting the gi on.

I know, there's the argument that it's not worn outside of the school. Valid. However, here in Illinois, we wear coats or jackets maybe 5 months out of the year. There's some cross over there.

However, the big thing is slowing the game down. It will help you break it apart and rely on technique rather than athleticisim alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: