Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tdiedwards
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Will be ever see the Gee worn in UFC again? Reply with quote

As far as I know, it would still be allowed. Has it been universally abandoned by the athletes forever?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that they are actually disallowed under the current rules, which are derived (I think) from the New Jersey Unified Rules under that state's Atheltic Commission.

I personally don't think that it will ever see a comeback in MMA. The sport has moved on to its own identity and seperarted itself from the arts it grew from.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that they are actually disallowed under the current rules

tallgeese is absolutely correct...

Quote:
"All competitors must fight in approved shorts, without shoes. Shirts, gis or long pants (including gi pants) are not allowed.

Originally the attire for UFC was very open if controlled at all. Many fighters still chose to wear tight-fitting shorts or boxing-type trunks, while others wore long pants or singlets. Multi-time tournament champion Royce Gracie wore a jiujitsu gi in all his early appearances in UFC."

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget what Ken Shamrock said in regards to the gi being a "weapon." The gi offers the opponent so many options of control, especially considering that a regular staple in the training of modern fighters is jiu jitsu.

The only reason Royce wore it was because no one knew jiu jitsu. Sakuraba put on a clinic of why not to wear a gi when he fought Royce. Royce himself has even since abondoned wearing a gi in MMA competitions.

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMA_Jim wrote:
Forget what Ken Shamrock said in regards to the gi being a "weapon." The gi offers the opponent so many options of control, especially considering that a regular staple in the training of modern fighters is jiu jitsu.

The only reason Royce wore it was because no one knew jiu jitsu. Sakuraba put on a clinic of why not to wear a gi when he fought Royce. Royce himself has even since abondoned wearing a gi in MMA competitions.

I agree here, even if it was allowed, it wouldn't be used that much because of the obvious con's.

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it gets in the way. Plus in could be used as a weapon, ala Gracie vs Shamrock.
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quinteros1963 wrote:
No, it gets in the way. Plus in could be used as a weapon, ala Gracie vs Shamrock.

Did you read the responses at all? I addressed that whole issue- Royce didnt use his gi as a "weapon" against Shamrock- he caught him with a rear naked choke (albeit from the side).

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me correct, Royce DID use the Gi lapel to do a rear naked choke in UFC 1.

Remember, we're depending on my memory, which would scare anybody!

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ekrxZ3HjM

Royce did a rear naked.

Shamrock claims Royce used the gi to choke him- he clearly didnt. What he did do was wizzer shamrocks arm from the guard and grab his own lapel to secure it. Lets not forget how easy it is to grab and punch when someone's wearing a gi.

Gi or not, Royce won because hes a better grappler. The gi allows options for both parties, but anyone with the smallest level of training would be able to make effective use of the gi moreso against the person wearing it than the other way around.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way the gi will ever come back is if every fighter wears one. Because it could be a weapon for either fighter especially in the later round of a fight were sweat becomes a factor. If one fighter wears the gi and on doesn't on fighter has handles his opponent doe not have. Also the fighter wearing the has the advantage of choke not avalible without the gi and he it vonurable to chokes himself. So for the gi to come back both fights will have to wear it to make it a fair fight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: