Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Will It Happen?!? Reply with quote

Mayweather VS McGregor!!

One's a boxer and the other is a MMA fighter. Both champions in their respective sport, both have earned their respect, one way or another.

Should these two meet, the pay for each of them will be worth millions!!

Does anyone here care about their possible fight??

Who do you think will emerge the victor??

However, will it be a boxing match or will it be a MMA match?? And under with governing body??

Imho, McGregor can not stand up toe to toe with Mayweather; uncanny speed!! Albeit, Mayweather can not roll on the ground with McGregor; ground superiority!!

How will Mayweather stop the take down skills of McGregor?? Boxing isn't MMA, and MMA isn't boxing, however, MMA fighters know how to box and how to grapple. Toe to toe standing...how is McGregor going to avoid and/or stand up to Mayweather boxing skills and power.

Imagine Tyson VS a MMA fighter, in Tyson's peak...well, Tyson would outbox the MMA fighter, however, if Tyson was taken to the ground, Tyson would be in unfamiliar territory, and at a disadvantage.

If the fight happens, again, just what is your opinion about this??

Imho, whichever one can dominate their respective sport, the other is through...done with...over and out!!

Of course, I can't help thinking about Ronda's latest two fights, in which she lost...against someone with superior boxing skills...and in this case, Mayweather VS McGregor, the boxer might overpower the MMA.

Will this fight be an exhibition match, akin to when Rocky fought an exhibition fight against Thunder Lips?!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't happen for a while yet because they can't agree on the money. Someone always wants more. The UFC are naturally reluctant to let McGregor do it.

Honestly, if it's a boxing match (I can't see it being MMA), McGregor will be beaten easily. He's a good striker by MMA standards but average by professional boxing standards. An average pro boxer would be on a par.

And Mayweather is no joke either. He's widely considered one of the greatest of all time, probably the best pound for pound boxer and has never lost a pro fight (over half by KO). If it's a boxing match McGregor doesn't stand a chance.

Heck even if it's an MMA fight I'd still put money on Mayweather.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is under boxing rules then McGregor loses. If it is under UFC rules Mayweather loses. As skilled as Mayweather is he does not have the ground and clinch work experience McGregor does. And that does not factor in the kicking game. I do not see Mayweather fighting under UFC rules. He has too much to lose. For McGregor the upside of a victory under boxing rules far outweighs the downside of a loss.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Won't happen for a while yet because they can't agree on the money. Someone always wants more. The UFC are naturally reluctant to let McGregor do it.

Honestly, if it's a boxing match (I can't see it being MMA), McGregor will be beaten easily. He's a good striker by MMA standards but average by professional boxing standards. An average pro boxer would be on a par.

And Mayweather is no joke either. He's widely considered one of the greatest of all time, probably the best pound for pound boxer and has never lost a pro fight (over half by KO). If it's a boxing match McGregor doesn't stand a chance.

Heck even if it's an MMA fight I'd still put money on Mayweather.

Excellent points, Danielle!!

In a MA comparison, and forgive me for this, Mayweather would be the Dan rank and McGregor would be the Kyu rank under any of the available venues. McGregor is not slouch, however, Mayweather outranks him across the board.

Imho!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
If it is under boxing rules then McGregor loses. If it is under UFC rules Mayweather loses. As skilled as Mayweather is he does not have the ground and clinch work experience McGregor does. And that does not factor in the kicking game. I do not see Mayweather fighting under UFC rules. He has too much to lose. For McGregor the upside of a victory under boxing rules far outweighs the downside of a loss.

Now that is interesting, and I do respect your opinion on this subject wholeheartedly.

To clinch, McGregor has to get TO Mayweather, and with the hand speed and power, along with his ability to slip and slide, Mayweather might not be that easy to get into a clinch. Sure, while "boxing", them both would end up in a clinch, as boxers do during a boxing match, but I believe that Mayweather respects McGregor's ground and clinching skills, and will be everything in his power to stave off McGregor, as much as he can. I will say this, keeping McGregor off, and at a distance will be difficult to do so for the entire match, but still doable.

Mayweather might want McGregor to get close so he can unleash his power and speed with his hands. "Come on...get closer...that's it...get closer...please", then...WHAM, WHAM, WHAM, WHAM...

Takes a lot of guts to get within Mayweathers range, and I mean a lot of guts. Takes a lot of guts to get within McGregor range, and I mean a lot of guts. Both have undeniable mad skills, however, Mayweather is far superior than McGregor...IMHO!!

Mayweather's reach is 72"!! McGregor's reach is 74"...could be a deciding factor...maybe...maybe not.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it a bit like the Bob Sapp versus Mike Tyson; Bob Sapp wanted K-1 Rules, and Mike Tyson wanted boxing. In boxing, Tyson would have taken the unpolished Sapp apart with his speed, and power. In K-1, where Sapp could clinch fight to save himself from Tyson's superior hands, Sapp's power could have won him the day as it had done against some great kick-boxers at that point. Both men knew giving away their favoured rule set would mean losing.

I would argue a similar situation exists for Mayweather and McGregor. Under Unified Rules; I must give the fight to McGregor. He is a great striker by MMA standards, and is canny enough in boxing (He was an Irish youth champion) that I believe he would be able to work around even Mayweather's phenomenal boxing, to force the clinch and take the fight to where boxing is one's last concern. In boxing; a good pro will always beat a great amateur. At the boxing level; McGregor might be a great amateur, but Mayweather is one of the all time great professionals. So the same situation exists; either of them gives away the rule set, they become the loser.

Even with an 10-12 week training camp, Mayweather could never pick up enough wrestling, submission, and striking skills to be at McGregor's level in the cage. As history has taught us; boxing is not enough in free-fighting. He is also too old now to put aside the 2-4 years needed to realistically become adept at free-fighting, even with his natural athleticism, and so this fight will never take part in the cage.

In contrast, McGregor does have a boxing background, and is a much younger man. With a 10-12 week training camp, he might be able to reach a level that would surprise us all, if he were to step into the squared circle. However; that again would probably not be enough for him to catch up with Mayweather, and to make it a dangerous set up for Mayweather.

I think it is being entertained because of that; Mayweather might be tempted to try and make his record 50-0, and McGregor is a big name with an excellent fight record. McGregor will come across as dangerous to the average punter because of his MMA background; however, any fight aficionado will know that the sports of boxing and MMA are different enough, that the level of skill transfer is very limited. Both want the fight because they are both big names, and a victory could increase the stock of both. Mayweather will come across as still being dangerous if he wins, and for McGregor a victory will force people to take his boxing ambitions seriously.

Mayweather will never accept a Unified Rules fight, but I suspect McGregor could be goaded into a boxing match. It is happening largely on Mayweather's terms. I do not think McGregor can, on paper, beat Mayweather in a boxing match, and thus I doubt the UFC will allow it to happen while McGregor remains under contract.

I think a shoot-boxing, or Mauy Thai, rules fight between the two could be interesting. It would keep Mayweather's boxing dangerous, but would allow enough flexibility that McGregor could use some of his well honed MMA skills. However, I doubt there is any money in the two fighting a kick-boxing match.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
I see it a bit like the Bob Sapp versus Mike Tyson; Bob Sapp wanted K-1 Rules, and Mike Tyson wanted boxing. In boxing, Tyson would have taken the unpolished Sapp apart with his speed, and power. In K-1, where Sapp could clinch fight to save himself from Tyson's superior hands, Sapp's power could have won him the day as it had done against some great kick-boxers at that point. Both men knew giving away their favoured rule set would mean losing.

I would argue a similar situation exists for Mayweather and McGregor. Under Unified Rules; I must give the fight to McGregor. He is a great striker by MMA standards, and is canny enough in boxing (He was an Irish youth champion) that I believe he would be able to work around even Mayweather's phenomenal boxing, to force the clinch and take the fight to where boxing is one's last concern. In boxing; a good pro will always beat a great amateur. At the boxing level; McGregor might be a great amateur, but Mayweather is one of the all time great professionals. So the same situation exists; either of them gives away the rule set, they become the loser.

Even with an 10-12 week training camp, Mayweather could never pick up enough wrestling, submission, and striking skills to be at McGregor's level in the cage. As history has taught us; boxing is not enough in free-fighting. He is also too old now to put aside the 2-4 years needed to realistically become adept at free-fighting, even with his natural athleticism, and so this fight will never take part in the cage.

In contrast, McGregor does have a boxing background, and is a much younger man. With a 10-12 week training camp, he might be able to reach a level that would surprise us all, if he were to step into the squared circle. However; that again would probably not be enough for him to catch up with Mayweather, and to make it a dangerous set up for Mayweather.

I think it is being entertained because of that; Mayweather might be tempted to try and make his record 50-0, and McGregor is a big name with an excellent fight record. McGregor will come across as dangerous to the average punter because of his MMA background; however, any fight aficionado will know that the sports of boxing and MMA are different enough, that the level of skill transfer is very limited. Both want the fight because they are both big names, and a victory could increase the stock of both. Mayweather will come across as still being dangerous if he wins, and for McGregor a victory will force people to take his boxing ambitions seriously.

Mayweather will never accept a Unified Rules fight, but I suspect McGregor could be goaded into a boxing match. It is happening largely on Mayweather's terms. I do not think McGregor can, on paper, beat Mayweather in a boxing match, and thus I doubt the UFC will allow it to happen while McGregor remains under contract.

I think a shoot-boxing, or Mauy Thai, rules fight between the two could be interesting. It would keep Mayweather's boxing dangerous, but would allow enough flexibility that McGregor could use some of his well honed MMA skills. However, I doubt there is any money in the two fighting a kick-boxing match.

Solid post with solid points!!

As they will undoubtfully cater to their own strengths, and depending on the format, one will fall hard, while the other will rise just as hard.

In the end, I'm really supposing that this fight might end up to be a exhibition match where both won't lose face...if they can agree on each others stipulations.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is likely never to happen. I think I heard Mayweather say he needs $100 million to take a fight. If McGregor did it, he would make more losing to Money then he would ever make again in the UFC.

This is mainly McGregor talking a lot to gain more presence. And in Boxing rules, which is the only venue it will happen in, McGregor would get dismantled. I don't know that he would land a square shot on Mayweather. It would be really lopsided, and probably the easiest payday Money had in a long time.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
This is likely never to happen. I think I heard Mayweather say he needs $100 million to take a fight. If McGregor did it, he would make more losing to Money then he would ever make again in the UFC.

This is mainly McGregor talking a lot to gain more presence. And in Boxing rules, which is the only venue it will happen in, McGregor would get dismantled. I don't know that he would land a square shot on Mayweather. It would be really lopsided, and probably the easiest payday Money had in a long time.

If I was McGregor, I'd be going...

"Please let this happen, Lord, please....I need that kind of money. A 'L' would be fine for me on my stats, because, I'd take the 'W' all the way to the bank!!"

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sensei8"]
LLLEARNER wrote:

Takes a lot of guts to get within Mayweathers range, and I mean a lot of guts. Takes a lot of guts to get within McGregor range, and I mean a lot of guts. Both have undeniable mad skills, however, Mayweather is far superior than McGregor...IMHO!!

Or a big payday. I might be convinced to step into the ring with Tyson if the pay was big enough. I would probably pee my shorts, and KO on the first punch. But I would get the losers pay. I would not take a dive though. I would go in with the intent of winning, but the knowledge I would lose.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: