Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Will the Olympics prompt WKF to be kumite oriented? Reply with quote

Since the Olympic entrence foe WTF/KKW Taekwondo made free sparring the nr 1 priority, one wonders naturally if WKF Karate will follow suit?

I have always been critical of Japanese Karate styles emphasis on kata over kumite, when in fact the latter is more critical for self defence. Any free sparring is better for combat readiness than kata. You at least get a feel for distancing, sharpen your reflexes, etc. But Japanese Karate training tends to put more emphasis on kata, thus highlighting the art aspect of Karate, rather than the combat element.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that kata do seem to be an integral part of most karate schools' curriculum. Doesn't the focus on sparring really depend on the school one belongs to? The type of sparring will also reflect the school. (Kyukoshin Karate is a form of Japanese Karate, though I'm not familiar with how the affiliations with WKF work.)

Also, if done correctly, kata with bunkai will help those in self-defense situations, as they've honed the manuvers over time.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I agree that kata do seem to be an integral part of most karate schools' curriculum. Doesn't the focus on sparring really depend on the school one belongs to? The type of sparring will also reflect the school. (Kyukoshin Karate is a form of Japanese Karate, though I'm not familiar with how the affiliations with WKF work.)

Also, if done correctly, kata with bunkai will help those in self-defense situations, as they've honed the manuvers over time.

I would characterize Kyokushin as Okinawan style Karate as it relates to the curriculum. Japanese Karate is much more kata and line training.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unfortunate reality is that the IOC will decide what the Karate venue will entail, and not the masses.

I can only assume that it'll be Kumite, but I can only hope that Kata/Bunkai would be a vital part of the venue.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not, as a comparison of the World Tae kwon do to the World Karate Federation is a poor one. World Tae Kwon Do is as much a style, as it is an organisation, and thus when that direction was taken it could adjust its syllabus and concept of Tae Kwon Do to meet the thrust of the organisation; Olympic Level Competition. In contrast the World Karate Federation is not in any way a style, there is no such thing as a WKF school. There are many schools which are associated with the WKF but there is no WKF style per se. The WKF is a huge alliance of national associations, and style organisations, and has three very specific goals based upon it’s primary role as a regulating body:

1. The training of referees and officials.

2. The hosting and commissioning of tournaments.

3. Facilitating coaching and training opportunities.

Now, beside these three, there are tertiary aspects they do also oversee. For example, one can earn grades through the WKF, however, such a service depends on the local federation. Also, it serves more often to recognise grades than to award them and serves as a quality control mechanism. Furthermore, as a competition regulating body it does significant work in ensuring that competition records are maintained, and the top athletes properly recognised. It also focuses on promotion of the sports associated with karate.

A great strength of the WKF, and its affiliate federations, is the lack of a “style” or indeed a syllabus. Although the sport aspects are promoted, it is not the essence of the organisation. One is relatively free to do as one wishes while enjoying the benefits of WKF membership, so long as one does not tread outside some of the golden rules.
In short, no I do not think it will influence WKF Karate because there is no such thing as WKF karate. Now, do I think the inclusion of the sport promoted by the WKF in the Tokyo Olympics will change matters at the grass roots? Frankly, probably not. Those schools and clubs that wish to succeed in competition are already geared towards it and take advantage of the opportunities for coaching the WKF facilitates. All that will change is that with Karate as an Olympic sport that hopefully more funding will come their way if they are University or School based. I suspect it will have an impact on the popularity of the Sport, and there may be a spike in the number of Karateka who participate or at least finally give it a go, but beyond that I do not see it making a great impact.

At the elite level, many kumite players I have met have been quite candid about not practicing kata since reaching the international level, or only participating in it inconsistently. At that level, they train with a linear goal orientated manner. The kata movements deal with do or die situations, not the Combat Sport Mat situations after all.

I also wonder what this Japanese Karate is? Cannot say I have heard of it. I know of many styles of karate that originate from Japan, but I do not know of this Japanese Karate. Joking aside, that is a huge generalisation, and though it is just your observation it is incredibly skewed.

Shotokan places significant emphasis on Yakusoku Kumite, as much as it does on Kata. Shito-ryu, as to be expected of its origins, has a long-established application-based approach to kata. Wado-ryu is structured around paired kata and Jiyu kumite. Goju-Kai also places significant importance on Jiyu Kumite. In fact, the practice of Jiyu Kumite, and modern kumite, as we would recognise it is quintessentially Japanese. Also, Kyokushinkaikan and its descendent arts pioneered Jissen Kumite (Knock-Down Karate) and at one-point Kyokushin was the most popular style in the world at 12 Million practitioners. I have rarely been a karate class where there has not been kumite, and almost every style of karate has kumite as an essential part of its syllabus.

With that said, if you do not do kata then you are not doing karate. The Kata are essential part of what karate is. The key is to practice kata correctly. Many practice kata with maladapted movements, without exploring the intent of the movements. Also, I would also state that kata practice is useless without a strong base in Hojo Undo (Conditioning) and Kumite. It is kumite and hojo undo that develop the qualities that kata hone into a weapon. Kata are about study of self-preservation, and if you have no idea what it is like to go up against a resisting aggressor, you will have no understanding of kata. Any martial arts training that focuses on only one thing will fail; after all, combat is but a series of opportunities. Only well-rounded training will give you the tools to make use of the opportunities presented.

Are there schools with an unfortunate similarity to dance classes? Yes, but is that the general trend. I would have to argue no. Since the start of full-contact karate in the 70s, many schools have incorporated the approach on some level. Since the late 80s and early 90s, there has been an increase of adherents of the bunkai model. Do they all get it right. No, they do not, but I would say most modern karateka practice kata with knowledge of bunkai. Similarly, the explosion of MMA competition in the modern era has been a huge wake up call for many karateka. Now, some reactionists have opted to remain one dimensional and not evolve, but the greater majority have taken the message that violent conflicts are not easily settled with the picture-perfect o-zuki.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
Probably not, as a comparison of the World Tae kwon do to the World Karate Federation is a poor one. World Tae Kwon Do is as much a style, as it is an organisation, and thus when that direction was taken it could adjust its syllabus and concept of Tae Kwon Do to meet the thrust of the organisation; Olympic Level Competition. In contrast the World Karate Federation is not in any way a style, there is no such thing as a WKF school. There are many schools which are associated with the WKF but there is no WKF style per se. The WKF is a huge alliance of national associations, and style organisations, and has three very specific goals based upon it’s primary role as a regulating body:

1. The training of referees and officials.

2. The hosting and commissioning of tournaments.

3. Facilitating coaching and training opportunities.

Now, beside these three, there are tertiary aspects they do also oversee. For example, one can earn grades through the WKF, however, such a service depends on the local federation. Also, it serves more often to recognise grades than to award them and serves as a quality control mechanism. Furthermore, as a competition regulating body it does significant work in ensuring that competition records are maintained, and the top athletes properly recognised. It also focuses on promotion of the sports associated with karate.

A great strength of the WKF, and its affiliate federations, is the lack of a “style” or indeed a syllabus. Although the sport aspects are promoted, it is not the essence of the organisation. One is relatively free to do as one wishes while enjoying the benefits of WKF membership, so long as one does not tread outside some of the golden rules.
In short, no I do not think it will influence WKF Karate because there is no such thing as WKF karate. Now, do I think the inclusion of the sport promoted by the WKF in the Tokyo Olympics will change matters at the grass roots? Frankly, probably not. Those schools and clubs that wish to succeed in competition are already geared towards it and take advantage of the opportunities for coaching the WKF facilitates. All that will change is that with Karate as an Olympic sport that hopefully more funding will come their way if they are University or School based. I suspect it will have an impact on the popularity of the Sport, and there may be a spike in the number of Karateka who participate or at least finally give it a go, but beyond that I do not see it making a great impact.

At the elite level, many kumite players I have met have been quite candid about not practicing kata since reaching the international level, or only participating in it inconsistently. At that level, they train with a linear goal orientated manner. The kata movements deal with do or die situations, not the Combat Sport Mat situations after all.

I also wonder what this Japanese Karate is? Cannot say I have heard of it. I know of many styles of karate that originate from Japan, but I do not know of this Japanese Karate. Joking aside, that is a huge generalisation, and though it is just your observation it is incredibly skewed.

Shotokan places significant emphasis on Yakusoku Kumite, as much as it does on Kata. Shito-ryu, as to be expected of its origins, has a long-established application-based approach to kata. Wado-ryu is structured around paired kata and Jiyu kumite. Goju-Kai also places significant importance on Jiyu Kumite. In fact, the practice of Jiyu Kumite, and modern kumite, as we would recognise it is quintessentially Japanese. Also, Kyokushinkaikan and its descendent arts pioneered Jissen Kumite (Knock-Down Karate) and at one-point Kyokushin was the most popular style in the world at 12 Million practitioners. I have rarely been a karate class where there has not been kumite, and almost every style of karate has kumite as an essential part of its syllabus.

With that said, if you do not do kata then you are not doing karate. The Kata are essential part of what karate is. The key is to practice kata correctly. Many practice kata with maladapted movements, without exploring the intent of the movements. Also, I would also state that kata practice is useless without a strong base in Hojo Undo (Conditioning) and Kumite. It is kumite and hojo undo that develop the qualities that kata hone into a weapon. Kata are about study of self-preservation, and if you have no idea what it is like to go up against a resisting aggressor, you will have no understanding of kata. Any martial arts training that focuses on only one thing will fail; after all, combat is but a series of opportunities. Only well-rounded training will give you the tools to make use of the opportunities presented.

Are there schools with an unfortunate similarity to dance classes? Yes, but is that the general trend. I would have to argue no. Since the start of full-contact karate in the 70s, many schools have incorporated the approach on some level. Since the late 80s and early 90s, there has been an increase of adherents of the bunkai model. Do they all get it right. No, they do not, but I would say most modern karateka practice kata with knowledge of bunkai. Similarly, the explosion of MMA competition in the modern era has been a huge wake up call for many karateka. Now, some reactionists have opted to remain one dimensional and not evolve, but the greater majority have taken the message that violent conflicts are not easily settled with the picture-perfect o-zuki.

The World Taekwondo Federation is not a style of Taekwondo. It is solely a sporting organisation, just like the WKF. People call it WTF TKD because the original president of the WTF also resided over the KKW style. This is not however the case nowdays, the ITF is allowed to compete in the TKD Olympics along side the KKW.

As for Shotokan, it is not my experience that this style of Karate places an equal emphasis on kumite. You don't even start free sparring until around brown belt in the JKA and off-shoots.maybe the WKF affiliated schools are differentm

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to kata / forms vs sparring, the relative value of each depends how they are taught, and the mindset of the student.

If sparring teaches you that real fights always begin with exactly two people facing each other already in a fighting stance, and always ends with one person have landed a couple of light taps on the other, then it is utterly useless for self defence. Whereas forms, when trained properly, train you how to move and improvise.

Conversely, if sparring allows a broad range of techniques and is extremely physical, while kata is performed as a serious of poses with no substance, then sparring suddenly becomes more relevant.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympic forms will surely mean the return of standardised shitei kata.
Not something I would like to see happen and not something I feel will be good for karate as an art in the long term.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF TKD, now called WT, is a style, like ITF is a style. The Kukkiwon is not a style, although WTF/WT is sometimes referred to as "Kukki TKD."

Honestly, I could see the Olympics holding both form and kumite competitions, and perhaps the opportunity to compete in an "overall" category, as well.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
With regards to kata / forms vs sparring, the relative value of each depends how they are taught, and the mindset of the student.

If sparring teaches you that real fights always begin with exactly two people facing each other already in a fighting stance, and always ends with one person have landed a couple of light taps on the other, then it is utterly useless for self defence. Whereas forms, when trained properly, train you how to move and improvise.

Conversely, if sparring allows a broad range of techniques and is extremely physical, while kata is performed as a serious of poses with no substance, then sparring suddenly becomes more relevant.

This.

Also, even something seemingly unrelated like running laps around the Dojo can help with self-defense if taught correctly and with the right mindset... because self-defense is also a mental and spiritual question. The benefit of karate versus street fighting or whatever is karate emphasizes mental clarity and spiritual toughness... I think people tend to forget this.

Not to mention, in the case of running laps around the Dojo, that also teaches you to just book it out of there if you're facing a bigger guy. I adhere to the teaching that I'm not learning karate to fight, I'm learning karate so that I don't have to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: