Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karatepastor
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Boxing, Karate, Jui Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS718Trek wrote:
Good to hear that you have a faith based style. I reckon there are a few faith based karate orgs nationwide. I definitely view that self defense has biblical scripture backing to it. You should check out Pastor Jeff Durbins view on self defense https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a49iXKYtjM

I’ll check it out. I know he was one of the Power Rangers!
“A kata is not fixed or immoveable. Like water, it's ever changing and fits itself to the shape of the vessel containing it. However, kata are not some kind of beautiful competitive dance, but a grand martial art of self-defense - which determines life and death.”

Kenwa Mabuni

karatepastor
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
GS718Trek wrote:
Good to hear that you have a faith based style. I reckon there are a few faith based karate orgs nationwide. I definitely view that self defense has biblical scripture backing to it. You should check out Pastor Jeff Durbins view on self defense https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a49iXKYtjM
I don't know if this is just my perception because of where I live, but it feels like most of the ones I encounter are faith-based in some form. When I was looking for a new dojo earlier this year, 3 of the 4 that I considered where faith-based. I ended up choosing the one that wasn't because it had the most similarities with what I already knew. I think more-and-more faith-driven people are realizing the similarities in the discipline that is typically called for in both martial arts and having faith and are therefore coming to martial arts with the goal of incorporating that devotion into their lives.

I think you’re right. I know for me, I feel like martial arts training at the church or when Christians are teaching martial arts and not hiding the fact that they are a person of faith, I feel like in these contacts we can bridge day gap, what I believe it to be a really wide gap, among many Christians between their faith practice in the mind body spirit connection.

All throughout the New Testament, and especially in Paul’s writings, we see constant reference both with regard to spiritual warfare as analogous to real warfare, and analogies which I think are more direct than our often given credit for, between disciplining the body and the discipline of faith.
“A kata is not fixed or immoveable. Like water, it's ever changing and fits itself to the shape of the vessel containing it. However, kata are not some kind of beautiful competitive dance, but a grand martial art of self-defense - which determines life and death.”

Kenwa Mabuni

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karatepastor wrote:
I think you’re right. I know for me, I feel like martial arts training at the church or when Christians are teaching martial arts and not hiding the fact that they are a person of faith, I feel like in these contacts we can bridge day gap, what I believe it to be a really wide gap, among many Christians between their faith practice in the mind body spirit connection.

I like your point here. I think most religious organizations, regardless of what their particulars are, believe in some sort of connection between taking care of the gifts that we are given. I can say with certainty that the major world religions do, at the very least. If our bodies and our time here is a gift, then we we should take steps to care for these things and keep them healthy. That's some good perspective you're bringing to the MA scene in your area.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Winding Karate Journey Reply with quote

karatepastor wrote:
1. Am I unique in this winding journey? Do others here have similar or at least comparable stories?

I'd say that you're not unique. Many search, research, and follow/create similar journeys, with varying successes.

karatepastor wrote:
2. I'm using a lot of videos and practice with my sons to tighten up our curriculum. LOTS of resources for Shito-Ryu Kata, for example, on YouTube, I own DVD curriculum like that from Fumio Demura, several books like "From Beginner to Black" belt to judge our technique against and make adjustments.

I'd strongly suggest that you continue to train under a CI that has the nearest or exact style that you're teaching on a consistent basis; always a student and never just only a teacher. Videos and the like are fine, but compared to having a live in-person CI, the video learning path pales drastically. Feedback is vitally important to you and to your students; videos are one dimensional, thus limited in context/content

karatepastor wrote:
3. Based on this, any recommendations or thoughts

Remain the student for your CI, so that your students can gain solid knowledge and experience from you. Joining organizations are fine, but they're not always where the sun sets, in which they'll create a stale progression within you, which will trickledown to you students in a negative tone.

Knowledge and experience over rank!!

I think that your journey has value and is promising across the board. Just keep your head screwed on right, and not wondering out somewhere in left field; you're students deserve that...and so do you!!

karatepastor wrote:
Another closely related question: As an independent Karate school, where do I find or connect with Kumite competitions?

Truthfully, tournaments are a dime a dozen. By that I mean, tournaments are easy to locate in differing size of cities. However, COVID-19 Pandemic has made them quite scares to find, however, keeping your nose of the grindstone will be fruitful enough to locate a many of a tournaments that'll meet your needs. The internet is a strange tool, but nowadays, finding a tournament is as easy as one, two, three. Also, contact local MA schools to locate tournaments.

Imho!!

Train hard and train well!!

karatepastor
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
karatepastor wrote:

I like your point here. I think most religious organizations, regardless of what their particulars are, believe in some sort of connection between taking care of the gifts that we are given. I can say with certainty that the major world religions do, at the very least. If our bodies and our time here is a gift, then we we should take steps to care for these things and keep them healthy. That's some good perspective you're bringing to the MA scene in your area.

For Sure.

Kenwa Mabuni

karatepastor
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Winding Karate Journey Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Knowledge and experience over rank!!

Absolutely. Thanks! I'm connected 4-5 times a week, along with my sons with a GREAT BJJ Professor. In time, I'll keep my eyes open for a similar relationship with Karate specifically. Only so many hours in the day is the trouble!

With all things, I agree completely, we should be a student, a practitioner, and a teacher if we want to fulfill all aspects of a journey.

Kenwa Mabuni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: