Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,
I am thinking about starting Wing Chun. I have fancied it for a while and currently am a 1st Dan at Shotokan Karate. I was justb wondering what it entails and what it is all about before I do start.Just to get a head start on understanding.
Any help welcomed.
Thanx!

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon----
I have a slight study on WingChun:
Hope this helps:

The forms of Wing Chun are a collection of movements put together to make a martial art and are used for self-defence . Listed below are the first two forms that make up the martial art system called Wing Chun .

Siu Nim Tao .
( Little idea form .)

Siu Nim Tao is the beginning of Wing Chun . Every thing is based on it and it is the foundation of Wing Chun . Wing Chun looks at positioning , energies and applications of the moves .

All the move in Siu Nim Tao and in Wing Chun as a whole are based on angles of 45 or 90 degrees and this is the same for arms and legs movements . The shape of a boomerang is the best way to describe it . The angles include moving away from the opponent at 45 degrees and the cutting back into your opponent at 45 degrees . This movement allows the opponents punch to miss you and this allows you to protect yourself and attack at the same time .

After starting the form by paying your respects you start the movements . Each movement moves slowly but precisely into precision , feeling the energy flow through your arm and then placed in your fingertips and then it flows away into space . Next , you start the next move moving the energy to another part of the body , you keep most of your body relaxed and put energy only where it is needed .

Second Form .
( Chum Kiu .)

Chum Kiu is the second form in Wing Chun and differs from the Siu Nim Sau in many ways . As Siu Nim Sau is performed in a stationary position , Chum Kiu has movement and gives you an insight in defending against multiple opponents .

The feelings in the Chum Kiu are different because you are moving from left to right , so now , balance is of importance .

The movements are now sharp and precise , exerting energy and then relaxing and then moving to your next move . The whole form is fast and furious , each movement is finished quickly and precisely . The point of the Chum Kiu form is to make a real simulation of what could happen if attacked by multiple opponents .

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers m8,helped a lot

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a problem MooBrach )
Anything for a friend!!

Aikidoka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tomiki Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been practising wing chun for six months now, so I'll try and tell you as much as I can.

You will find it very awkward to change from karate to wing chun, and it will take about six months for you to break down your old habits. Wing chun does not rely on power or flexibility, or even great speed. In this way it can be taken much further than power arts like taekwondo or kickboxing. It relies on you being able to feel exactly what your opponent is doing, by maintaining contact with them at all times. Instead of trying to stop an opponent's attack dead you redirect it using a lesser force (following the yin/yang principle - central to wing chun). You are never in opposition to the person you face, you both form two halves of one whole.

Technically speaking, all the kicks are kept below waist height to increase speed, balance and deception. The strikes and parries stay on the centreline and travel straght, meaning that they are more accurate and faster, and that you are never open to attack. Detachment from the fight means that your intellectual mind does not interfere with your instincts, and that your body stays relaxed. Power comes from timing, coordination and relaxed strength, not from bulging muscles.

Finally I advise you to read this article http://www.stanford.edu/group/wingchun/path.html
It helped me a great deal. Good luck and good training.

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Posting Aikido!
i agree on what you mean how you can change from one Art to another andits so hard to break the ol' habits.
I have trained in Shotokan Karate, Korean TaeKwondo, Shaolin Kung Fu, and Kickboxing and I know exactly what you are talking about.
Wing Chun is known as "Sticky Hands."
If someone should hit you and you block them, your blockage will 'stick' with that same arm where ever it goes. Almost like a Physic thing by knowing where next hes gonna attack.
Wushu is a beautiful art!! I am not that well in Wushu but I do thank you for the link that you posted about WingChun

Represenitive for Paltalk.com
*-*-*-*-Mouser (Palhelp)*-*-*-*-*-

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIKIDOKA!! you misunderstood me.I am not willing to change but to cross train.
Thanx for the great information though.It was much needed.

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moobrack,
I am anxious for you ti train WingChun-If that Art was close to my house i would cross train my Kickboxing with WingChun.
Keep it up MooBrack and good luck with it in the future

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx GOLDDRAGON!

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pleasure Sensi MooBrack!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: