Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Wing Chung Dummies Reply with quote

My studio is out in the boonies (In Texas, all the good ones are out in the boonies, lol). Anyway, I was cleaning up out back behind the Dojo, and I found the remains of a Wing Chung dummy. I think I can salvage it, with a little elbow grease and a few 2x4’s... anyways, I was wondering if you guys think it was worth it for a School that teaches Karate and Jujitsu to have a Wing Chung dummy? In this area (Bucket of the bible belt) the attendance at the school fold from a group of 20 to no one for a year. I’m guessing it came from back when the school was busy.

I’ve seen pictures, but I’ve never really learned to use one of these. I’m totally new to this. I wanted talked to the Sensei, but I'm sure he will show us, but I just want to know exactly what you do with it. Just combinations and such? Is the Dummy only good for Wing Chung, or does it work great for general blocking and sticking and striking and hand speed? Any help can be grateful.

WC-Strayder
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Location: Great is the one who knows, but even greater is the one who knows where to ask....
Styles: Wing Chun. Since 01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron arms is made on the wooden dummy. And some good technique training too. If you just do karate and jujijtsu I guess you have no use for it, coz in wing chun we do not block strikes, but deflect them and if you try that you ruin your karate, so my best guess is to sell it. Not to me, coz I live in the cold, deep and snowy mountains of Norway, or middle of nowhere for you guys, (read: Norway) , but to a Wing Chun club in the US of A.

My better guess for you, if you are interested, is to learn wing chun sticky hands, a very effective close combat system also learned on the wooden dummy. Buy a book or invite someone that can teatch you some of the basics in chi sao sticky hands, coz that is great even if you train jujijtsu and karate.... just a wild guess.

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "deflect" blows? In the Style of Jujitsu we pratice, you are taugh feint to the right or left, so that even if he hits, it deflects the blow.

Thanks for all your advice, it sounds like it is worth the time to fix it up,

DokterVet
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shootwrestling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In wado karate, deflections are used more than blocks in application - especially at the higher levels.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you might be aware of the "sticky hands" principles of wing chun. one of the purposes of the dummy is for us to get used to maintaining contact of the arms during contact. after the initial interception, there are lord knows how many things we can do afterwards. the fixed positions of the arms allows us to practise pivots, steps into/away, changing from inside/outside etc etc.

probably doesn't make sense as this is best shown on the dummy. what i'm trying to describe i guess, is the way we don't really deflect but guide and move the arm to where we want it using very, small, precise movements.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: