Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore, the process of getting their is very valuable. I've got so many more great memories from training for all the various sports I competed in that from competition and winning. I was pretty successful in sports, but most of my best memories were from practice.

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Furthermore, the process of getting their is very valuable. I've got so many more great memories from training for all the various sports I competed in that from competition and winning. I was pretty successful in sports, but most of my best memories were from practice.

Very true. The 5 from our school that made the team were already friends from being at the school together. But since early this year they spent hours a day with each other, pushing and helping each other toward their common goal. Then they were there for each other at the tourney when things didn't go well, propping each other up. It's been an excellent bonding experience that really strengthened their friendships.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skullsplitter wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Very true. The 5 from our school that made the team were already friends from being at the school together. But since early this year they spent hours a day with each other, pushing and helping each other toward their common goal. Then they were there for each other at the tourney when things didn't go well, propping each other up. It's been an excellent bonding experience that really strengthened their friendships.

Definitely agree with this. My best friends are all people I have trained with as a squad for tournaments. Something about working towards a common goal really strengthens your relationship.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skullsplitter wrote:
Yes we are spread out. Members from both coasts, as far north as Michigan, and as far South as Florida/Texas. We don't have a full team training session, at least not for WKU. Can't speak to all of the other WK* associations. Luckily my son's instructor is the US coach so he was with her 5 or 6 days a week as well as the others from our school that made it.
There are regional training sessions setup through out the year. For example, there were multiple sessions at our school and another school for those nearby Indiana, Tennesee, and Kentucky.
He put 2-4 hours in a day during the week based on his school work load. Then normally 4 on Saturdays and took Sundays off.

Sounds like a lot of training and travelling. Your son is very lucky to have parents willing to put themselves out for him
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: