Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karate4fun
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: women and self defense Reply with quote

For the women in this forum if there are any, I have a question around self defense in training. In class, we do what is called "the line"
One person stands facing a line of students of all different skill levels. Lets say based on your rank, the line can only throw a straight punch or a front kick which you need to defend and put them to the ground.

i have a hard time putting the combinations together..I block the first strike and then sometimes freeze..even though they are completely open for another strike. I've starting to put some combinations together and practice to get the flow and its coming along...

Has anyone encountered anything like this and have any advice as to how to get past freezing or just coming up blank. I dont know if its just a women thing since men are more apt to fight..

any suggestions would be appreciated....

NewEnglands_KyoSa
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do , Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent encountered these problems, but we do similar drills. You're just looking for a quick strike before your off balance technique. Just don't be tense let it come to you. A quick strike is a simple as a slap to the face, i don't suggest it but, just to speaking in simple terms. Just try to do whatever comes naturally, palm to the face, elbow to the mid section. Do whatever comes. But i suggest maybe you practice your basics alittle more just so you can become more comfortable with them, just remember stay loose, it makes you quicker...with speed comes power. good luck.

karate4fun
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply....I would love to meet some women who practive MA to get different perpectives...how long have you been in the MA and what style are you currently involved with.

for myself, I've been in it for almost 2 years...just started doing the line not to long ago..I practice sanshinkai and Isshinryu karate. I love both and like what the MA has brought into my life.

NewEnglands_KyoSa
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do , Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial Arts are a huge part of my life. I love them. I've been in MAs for 10 years. And i currently practice Tang Soo Do and Chinese Kempo. Beautiful Arts, i love learning and teaching them both.

I'm glad Martial Arts have found a way into your life and heart...i think everyone can take something from Martial Arts and their Philosophys.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEKyoSa is right. Just throw a simple technique, like a punch or a palm heel to the face. Take some time to practice the combinations on your own, visualizing the attack, blocking it, and then following up. Keep it simple, and it will come easier.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: women and self defense Reply with quote

karate4fun wrote:
For the women in this forum if there are any, I have a question around self defense in training. . . .

i have a hard time putting the combinations together..I block the first strike and then sometimes freeze..even though they are completely open for another strike. I've starting to put some combinations together and practice to get the flow and its coming along. . . .

Has anyone encountered anything like this and have any advice as to how to get past freezing or just coming up blank. I dont know if its just a women thing since men are more apt to fight. . . .

I think you're being too hard on yourself. We guys freeze, too, when we don't know the next move, only we disguise it better, like a pause rather than a freeze. We'll improvise, rather doing something, even if it's wrong, than admit we don't know. Women, I feel, are more concerned about doing it right.

The challenge for me is that the teens understand what to do, and with greater flow, faster than I, an adult, do. I've decided not to feel embarrassed or blame myself if I don't know something, or it doesn't flow as well. Are you able to practice outside the dojang? When in the dojang, can you reserve time to practice this drill with a partner? Some one-on-one might be helpful; I've sometimes had to do it, and it's been helpful to me.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're not in class, try to think up of scenario's or combinations and different ways to react to them. It's definitely NOT a woman thing, there are plenty guys who freeze up and don't react fast enough. After a while it will become second nature to you and you will definitely notice improvement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: