Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er there are also some men who belong to "womens club". There are a few things that crop up among females that do not crop up among the men.

A while back "someone" started a topic that got a bit controversial that illustrates the point of a bit of a need for "womens discussions".

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1611&highlight=periods

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeaF wrote:
Are we going to have a female only forum on these boards too just because there is sooo much out there that only woemn can understand and communicate...frankly I find this insulting perhaps someone could explain the reasoning behind it to me

Never actually crossed my mind to have a "Women in Martial Arts" forum category (... although all the 'other' boards have one).But we are not like other boards.
I don't believe in segregating martial artists... we all need and must learn from one another however "difficult" it may be for the male to understand or even want to listen to the certain issues that "plague" women martial artists .... such as the topic link Sai posted above.

It is not such a bad thing for men to get more in touch with their feminine side.

Actually according to this article this will create less turmoil in the world.
http://users.sedona.net/~sugilis/02.html

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeaF wrote:
frankly I find this insulting perhaps someone could explain the reasoning behind it to me

Well, there are double standards everywhere, like G95 said. I have an AIM account - and when I "look for a buddy" which is an option that allows you to search for an AIM member with whom to chat, I can look under the intrests "African American Community", "Hispanic Community", but no "European Descent Community" or "Caucasian Community". I wonder why? I think it is because the minorities usually feel themselves a seperate group only because there are less of them and their experience - whether it be through life or the martial arts - is somewhat different than "most" people's. The above probably made no sense, but I tried to explain my view .

As for that thread Sai shared with us, I think all the guys on the board should read it and see just one of the extras females have to deal with at practice! I feel no need for an extra forum, either. I think we should all hear each other's whines !

Girls kick butt!

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G95champ wrote:
Leaf its that old double standard. LOL.... Women want to join all boys schools like the Citidal but we can't join their clubs. LOL.... You will learn that all minorites want the benifits of things like Title IX and equal protection laws but they don't want to give it to others.

Equality means being invisible. It means you're a dime a dozen and have to deal with all the crap society throws at you on your own without having anyone to swoop in and rescue you. It means you aren't exempt from anything... the good and the bad. It means you have to struggle to be noticed and heard just like everyone else. It's a pretty bleak existence really, but you just have to deal with it.

Some people who are part of the groups that haven't been equal in the past aren't ready to lose their specialness yet. They don't want to be invisible. And when they've lost that specialness they no longer have the privilage of holding things over other people's heads. They'd rather have things both ways.

I'm just giving general examples... not talking about anyone on this board.

Putting ourselves in categories just fuels the tension between us. If you need to talk about how menstruation affects your training (and any other issue that comes to mind), go for it. I'll read it. Some ignorant male might actually have come across a suggestion for you in his travels. We're all human beings with insight and brains here, when will that be enough?

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this get to be an argument about equality?? It's a freaking chat group, you guys talk like you're being denied a country club membership. Sometimes women just want to talk to women, just like sometimes men just want to talk to men. Using the menstruation post example, it's not like we want to keep the fact that we menstruate a secret, but maybe we'd like to have a conversation about it without people making giggly jokes or suggesting that the subject is lewd and should not be discussed. What on earth is the problem with that?

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chh, as a female martial artist, I was sharing my point of view. And sorry to bag on all the "women in MA's", but I agree with the guys. Women are treated "special" in a lot of things, in a lot of hobbies, places, and professions. Will we someday be equal? Perhaps. It's just that men usually don't see the need to seperate themselves, and women think that since there are so few of us, we should share the experience. I think that if there was a "men only" forum, it might be concidered "sexist" but most women don't see a "women's only" forum as anything out of the norm. Sure, we get our periods, but don't you think men might have something to talk about as well? I think that training in a martial art is one thing (there are very few) where men and women get treated the same. I don't know about you, but I've never done a girly pushup. I don't know about you, but I can hold my own in the ring with guys. And I don't know about you, but I have a mean armbar. I can discuss this stuff with guys just as well as with girls.
Girls kick butt!

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preach the word 360 and omnifinite

I AM CANADIAN

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.

An interesting forum.

Also 360 has a point men have no privacy anymore. If they want just a little bit, then they are called sexist, but women are aloud what they want!

Men it is time to rise out of oppression, and take what is OURS! Some time to talk about guy stuff, with out worrying about what girls (ladies) would think. lol

Back to the post.

I personally thought that women in shotokan is a bad idea. Men are genetically bigger and stronger, also having greater reach, so on average it would be difficult for a woman to "beat" a man. Thats not to say that there are not women out there that cant, because they can. Obviously a woman can be technically superior, but like all things worth while it takes time.

In Aikido, there is a 3:1 ratio to women. Most of the women in my club can introduce me very quickly to the mat, reguardless that I am about 3 stone heavier than they are. Also I found it very strange to have a lady Sensei, as all my MA's before I have had male Sensei's. But as time has gone on, I appreciate the quiet contemplation that women bring to the mat, instead of ego's. As my Sensei is an 8th Dan, and one of the best in the world, even going back to Japan to TEACH, then she really has my respect. Not just superfically, but a deep respect that I have given to all my Sensei's.

Take Care
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: