Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Women's boxing and the Olympics Reply with quote

The NY Times had an article on women's boxing on 7.13.10, "Trying to Punch Her Way Into the Olympics." It focused on a particular woman who wants to make the US Women's Boxing Olympic Team. There are just three places to represent the US when women's boxing becomes a medal sport in the 2012 Summer Olympics, to be held in London.

According to the article, there'll be only three weight classes: flyweight (106-112lbs); lightweight (123-132lbs); middleweight (152-165lbs). I don't know why there aren't classes in-between those weights, unless it's that we're competing in three of the ones offered.

In the last Olympics that opened up the saber for women's fencing, the US athlete won the gold. I wonder how we'll do in women's boxing?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only 3 weight classes: http://www.london2012.com/games/olympic-sports/boxing.php

That sucks for anyone in the in-between classes or higher that 165 or lower than 106 lbs. I guess its because its the 1st time.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

That sucks for anyone in the in-between classes or higher that 165 or lower than 106 lbs. I guess its because its the 1st time.

You're right, Danielle, it's only three offered, not that only three women are being sponsored in the US. The men have three three-minute rounds; the women have four two-minute rounds. Women's boxing is not new, but it is new for the Olympics, so they're being conservative--maybe more than they really have to be.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
It is only 3 weight classes: http://www.london2012.com/games/olympic-sports/boxing.php

I think the main reason for this is because there just aren't the numbers to go with women's Boxing that there are to go with men's Boxing. In men's, you have to turn people away. In the women's, you probably can't get enough out. Its just the nature of the beast. If it gains popularity, then you might see the addition of weight classes.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its must be a numbers thing - cool this debue's in London 2012!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: