Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Women's MA Reply with quote

Why is it that women's MA doesn't get nearly the same amount of coverage as the guys do? There's no women's UFC and women rarely feature on other cards. Shows like The Ultimate Fighter, The Contender etc. don't have a female equivalent and women's boxing/kickboxing/muay thai is rarely shown on TV. Even though I don't watch it I could name half a dozen male MMA fighters but wouldn't be able to name any females. Same with boxing and kick boxing.

Is it because people don't want to watch women fighting? Lack of top quality female fighters wanting to go professional? Thoughts?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question. I seriously doubt that it's due to a lack of qualified candidates capable of making the jump, but I do know from my involvement with amateur mma that it can be a real challenge to fill even a fight for a female. Let alone a full card.

I also would guess that the perceived ticket sales are less for women's events. On this I'm just guessing and really don't know the why behind it if that is, in fact, the case. Maybe the less likely chance of high impact movements and such is part of it. Much like the NBA/WNBA debate over technical skills over dunking.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all comes down to dollars and cents.

I remember when women's bodybuilding was growing, right to the point of having a Ms. Olympia to complement the already-established Mr. Olympia. (Many times, Arnold Schwarzenegger has been referred to as a former Mr. Universe, which is a title he did win, but the top bodybuilding contest has been the Mr. Olympia, which he kept on winning.)

The Mr. Olympia drew big crowds, high prices for admission, and whatever media deals could be arranged. The Ms. Olympia just couldn't get the gate receipts, etc., and was nearly canceled in 1999, being rescued by having it held in Secaucus, NJ. To keep it going, it's been included with the Mr. Olympia, with a Ms. Fitness Olympia and Ms. Figure Olympia being added.

You'll probably always find top-notch female martial artists who would do MMA, but they are likely more limited in number than male mixed martial artists. I think women can be on the card, but the economics of drawing a crowd on a regular basis as the men's MMA by having an all-female card is a chance that promoters likely shy away from as financially risky.

It would be interesting, and possibly draw a good-sized crowd at first, but I don't know that it coutd be sustained, which organizations like UFC look for. Personally, I think it's worth a try, but backers have to be found, and that's the snag.

the beast
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
I think it all comes down to dollars and cents.

You'll probably always find top-notch female martial artists who would do MMA, but they are likely more limited in number than male mixed martial artists. I think women can be on the card, but the economics of drawing a crowd on a regular basis as the men's MMA by having an all-female card is a chance that promoters likely shy away from as financially risky.

It would be interesting, and possibly draw a good-sized crowd at first, but I don't know that it coutd be sustained, which organizations like UFC look for. Personally, I think it's worth a try, but backers have to be found, and that's the snag.

I totally agree, I think that the big promotions (UFC,WEC.etc) are afraid that female fights wont draw the large crowd that the men do, thereby hurting their revenue from these events, and this is a risk they just arent willing to take.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UFC does not field any kind of female competitions that I know of, yet. StrikeForce has been including a female fight or 2 on a few of its cards, and they have been successful. However, I don't think it would go on its own as well. I think people want to talk about it, and don't mind that females want to fight, but I don't think many are really interested in watching it as much as they do the males.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a letter(s) to the governing bodies of those MMA bodies might be warranted!

I know that I'd watch the female fights, and not just the male fights!

Could it be that while there are many qualified female's that are ready to step into a MMA ring, but, there's not enough female fighters to go around. I mean, who wants to watch Kyra Gracie VS Gina Carano over and over and over and over again, and btw, I'm referring to the fighting, not where some of your filthy minds might be at right now.

Money is a problem and it might always be that way. Look at how female pros in many other sports are treated; men get paid ALOT, while the women get paid very little...and it's not fair, if fair is the right word to use here.

Until the stable of MMA female fighters grow, then we have what we have. I don't know the ratio, but, I'm sure that there are many more men than there are women in the MMA.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Until the stable of MMA female fighters grow, then we have what we have. I don't know the ratio, but, I'm sure that there are many more men than there are women in the MMA.

But will the number of female fighters grow if the fights aren't shown? I think by showing the fights it'll say to potential female fighters that its ok to get in a cage and hit each other full contact. As it is now I think MMA is still seen to be a guys thing so for more females to start doing it I think someone needs to show them that its ok to fight like that. And of course there are some females out there who will see other women getting paid to fight and will want to go professional now that the money is being invested in them.

Out of interest, what do you think are the reasons why people don't want to watch women's MA? or the reasons the event organisers think people won't want to watch women?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, Danielle, and I don't mean this to be rude, but I think the main reason is that women's fighting just isn't as exciting as men's fighting. I think the same wrap has fallen to the WNBA in comparison to the NBA. I know some girls who would rather watch men's basketball than women's, and I imagine that some of that translates to the fighting world, as well.

Personally, I would not be concerned whether women's fighting is considered "un-ladylike" or not, but moreso, if there are enough good fighters out there for the fights to be interesting. I did watch Carano fight, and the fight was ok. But, she's a top notch fighter, as well; perhaps the best female fighter out there right now. But, her fights have been showcased along with men's cards, so she's had good exposure. Now, lots of people say they would love to see a women's fight card, but when it comes down to it, how many will actually go out and buy tickets to go? I don't think the same number that say they would like to see them, would end up going. But, I could be wrong, too.

The best thing right now is that Carano has had some publicity. Hopefully, it catches on, and in a few years, this will all be a moot point, and we'll be adding the "Women's UFC 1" to our KarateForums.com MMA Picks.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But will the number of female fighters grow if the fights aren't shown?

SOLID!

Hey, UFC...hey Strikeforce...Hey, MMA promoter...SHOW THE FEMALE FIGHTERS!!!! Sheech!

Male or female fights...some are boring and some are great! Can't have one without the other!

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest barrier has nothing to do with commisions or promotions not being willing to put females on cards. It has to do with the lack of female figthers who are skilled enough to compete at the highest levels. Remember, Strike Force, UFC, EliteXE, ie. national televised promotions, are the cream of the crop. They can't field a card with people who aren't the best, or in the same league as the best.

In the spring I watched the first pro promotion in TN, the XFC. They had a female bout which was pretty good for a low level procard. One female fighter was from Florida, the promotions home. The other, which was a replacement for the original fighter, came in from Iowa(?). If there were sufficeint female fighters available one should have been closer to the promotions home, or the event's venue.

Dana White has said before that he'd field women's bouts, and hopes to, as soon as they have enough high level talent. Like others have said, watching Carano vs. Santos over and over would be boring. You can put one fight after fight at the LW division in the UFC because there is a deep pool of fighters. Promoters fielding women's divisions have a hard time putting together a card with more than two or three fights. Take a limited pool of fighters and try putting them into the same weight classes for sanctioned fights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: