Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any of you guys join a school run by a first dan? HOw about second dan? Third dan?

I ask this question, because of my similar thread on "I lost my black-belt." I was dissappointed at losing my black-belt when I had to join another school, because of my dream of opening up my own school and teaching TKD had to be put on hold. Although learning more and growing as a martial artist is more important than a belt around your waist, credentials are needed to run a martial arts school. A 2nd dan instructor may have many years of experience and be highly skilled, but honestly speaking how many of you would join a school run by a 2nd dan? My goal is to teach others about TKD. However, realistically speaking you need a certain number of students to financially run a school. I think it would be hard to get enough students if you're only a 1st dan or 2nd dan instructor. So what are your thoughts?

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-04-10 01:19 ]

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on what the style was, I don't think I would have any problem joining a school run by a lower dan. I know this is a korean MA forum but in BJJ, even a brown belt is of great knowledge and experience. I would trust someone like that. My current instructor for shaolin kempo is a third degree, fyi. He's a wonderful instructor.

Drunken Master
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the black belt's (1st and 2nd Dan) I have met in ITF Taekwon-Do have been more than knowledgeable enough to teach.

That doesn't mean they would make good teachers but they do have the technical knowhow necessary to be able to teach.

So my answer is a big YES I would take lessons from a 1st or 2nd Dan.

bjjbarbie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was taught by a 5th dan in combined martial arts.....(thats 25 years to get that!!!)

but coz of all different reasons he has to leave and change states.......instead his only black belt student took over the classes...

he can teach us the stuff we need to know well, for gradings etc ...but the only prob is he doesnt have much experience like the previous instructor....so when it comes to steet situations, competition training etc it doesnt pay aswell!

but if u have experience yeah it wouldnt matter to much!!

i'll join!! haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've stated in other threads, you only need to be 1st degree in Kuk Sool Won to open your own "official" school. However, it is a very strictly regulated organization where you have to agree to teach the exact same way you were taught (in the same order etc.).

We are always advised by the Grandmaster to open a club first, like in a YMCA or other facility that will keep costs low. Then, once you have around 30 students, you can move to your own location and already have the head count to pay the bills. That's all I would need in the long run anyway. I wouldn't be looking to make money off it, just have it pay for itself.

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if a person has the know how than it is all right. I had the privelage to learn from an eigth dan a ninth dan. Both are now teaching else were they both are grand masters in TKD and Hapkido and now that they are gone they let --appointed-- black belts to run the school. The eighth dan still comes down to do our testing. So yes I think A first dan with the know how can make a good decent teacher.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well id take a few lessons from them and see what kind of person they are. You shouldn't judge a person by their dan. If they say they are 1st dan then they are most likely more honest than others that say they are like 5th+ dan.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. You shouldn't judge someone by just their dan. HOwever, if you're new in town and looking for a new martial arts school, i'm sure most people will first visit instructors with higher dans.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like joining a dojo for the first time, you have a "feeling" out process. Get to know the instructor see what he or she has to offer, open your mind to learning, then make your decision on whether or not the instructor is the right person for you regrdless of their dan rank.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sensei is a third dan in jiu jitsu and a very experianced kickboxer......it all depends on the person
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: