Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: WT and ITF sign an agreement to create a joint body Reply with quote

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=258047

Next Friday will be what would have been General Choi Hong Hi's 100th birthday. In celebration there are to be a number of events in Pyongyang with people from around the world in attendance

The WT have sent a delegation, including their demonstration team, to participate.

Talks have been ongoing between WT and ITF for a few years now in an effort to foster greater collaboration both groups have agreed to work together to promote the style under a new joint body:

Quote:

World Taekwondo (WT), under the leadership of South Korean Choue Chung-won, and the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF), led by North Korean Ri Yong-son, agreed on Friday to set up a joint body next month to narrow their differences in governing the sport.

Next year will also be 25 years since TKD was included in the Olympics and they want to demonstrate both sports together.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news...providing that the two Governing Bodies can reach an equivocal agreement for the betterment of the students and not for just themselves. I'd love to be that fly on the wall during this historical event. History shows that these type of meetings can go south in a blink of an eye due to ego; everyone wants to be the authority...I've seen it, as well as have read, that that very thing occurs.

I sincerely hope that these talks end up successfully for all concerned.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, and sounds promising. They've laid out some goals in their agreement, so it doesn't just look like a bunch of platitudes. There's still a lot of ground for them to cover, but this look like a good first step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: