Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: WTF Kata Criteria Reply with quote

This is some of the criteria that the WKF (World Karate Federation) uses when judging a kata performance.

1> The kata must be performed with competence and must demonstrate a clear understanding of the principles it contains.

2> The kata performance must have demonstrated correct focus of attention, use of power, good balance and proper breathing.

3> Consistency and correctness of stances.

4> Correct weight distribution according to the kihon being demonstrated.

5> Smooth and even transition (center remaining “weighted down”) between stances.

6> Correct tension in stance.

7> Feet edges firmly on floor.

8> Accuracy in techniques.

9> Correct and consistent kihon with the style being demonstrated.

10> Correct tension, focus, kime.

11> Show proper understanding of the kata bunkai.

12> Contrast in tension, breathing and movement.

13> An understanding of those techniques being demonstrated.

14> A realistic, rather than “theatrical ” demonstration of the Kata meaning.

For discussion purposes only...Which criteria, if any, from the list above, do you not agree with and why?

I'm not so keen with #7 and this is because of it's ambiguity. I was taught to do a reverse punch, for example, with the knife edge of the rear foot up but keeping the heel down & transferring the weight to the inside or instep.

This is to:

1. Maximize hip rotation

2. Center the power/weight up the middle line of the body and the inside of the thigh & base

That being said, no matter how one's been taught, and no matter how one may or may not agree with WTF's criteria, one will have to execute in said manner if one wants to compete within any WKF venue. I suppose that it's the "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" kind of thing.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Kata is about self preservation, NOT about winning trophies.

Good thread though, OSU

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have much problem with the individual sport side of Kata, if a student is good at the kata aspect but not so much the kumite then good for them they are able to compete.

I am sceptical about the team Kata though, that verges on the theatrical. Not so much the keeping in time with your teammates, I know how difficult that is and appreciate the amount of time that involves, but the way people wear the same Gi,the way they all have their hair cut the same way, I think it goes too far. Each to their own, but its not for me.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I've struggled to understand is how the WKF in these competitions go about comparing say a Wado Karateka to a Shotokan guy. It seems that competitors must be pigeonholed into their style. Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way but for instance #9 on the could be restrictive if they've cross trained or the fact that a competitor must do one of the kata that is deemed appropriate (by the WKF) for his/her style.

But then again those are the rules of the game and if you want to play then you have to adhere to them.

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These appear to be the old criteria.
The new ones are

1. Conformance
to the form itself and the standards of the applicable school.

2. Technical performance
a. Stances
b. Techniques
c. Transitional movements
d. Timing/Synchronisation
e. Correct breathing
f. Focus (kime)

3. Athletic performance
a. Strength b. Speed
c. Balance d. Rhythm

4. Technical difficulty
of the kata.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious here. Are they supposed to demonstrate bunkai after the kata performance?

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
One of the things I've struggled to understand is how the WKF in these competitions go about comparing say a Wado Karateka to a Shotokan guy. It seems that competitors must be pigeonholed into their style. Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way but for instance #9 on the could be restrictive if they've cross trained or the fact that a competitor must do one of the kata that is deemed appropriate (by the WKF) for his/her style.

But then again those are the rules of the game and if you want to play then you have to adhere to them.

There is nothing to stop a Wado practitioner from doing any Kata he wants, from any style.

I think you are referring to "Shitei" (compulsory) Kata rounds?

This is usually only the first round of events and what it means is that if you want to do Chinto or Seishan - you have to do it the Wado way. If you want to do say Kanku-dai or Jion it has to be done the Shoto way and so on and so forth. There is nothing however stopping a wado kuy doing Kanku-dai, but he has to do it the correct “Shotokan” way according to how the WKF prescribe.

The remaining rounds tend to be "Tokui" or free kata rounds - ie you can do any kata you want from any style.

The problem is it doesn’t really work imo.

Fact is, if a wado guy does Seishan against a Shoto Jion– chances are that the judges will go for the Shoto Jion, because it looks nicer.

What this has led to is athletes learning how to perform all of the flashy looking Kata from across the styles, and disgarding the more "basic" looking ones which kinda defeats the point.

K.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I'm curious here. Are they supposed to demonstrate bunkai after the kata performance?

There is only a requirement to actually demonstrate bunkai in the team kata event, and then usually only in the finals.

I think what this ruling means is that techniques should be performed in such a way it shows that the athlete has an understanding of correct bunkai.

K.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kusotare wrote:
DWx wrote:

There is nothing to stop a Wado practitioner from doing any Kata he wants, from any style.

This is usually only the first round of events and what it means is that if you want to do Chinto or Seishan - you have to do it the Wado way. If you want to do say Kanku-dai or Jion it has to be done the Shoto way and so on and so forth. There is nothing however stopping a wado kuy doing Kanku-dai, but he has to do it the correct “Shotokan” way according to how the WKF prescribe.

The remaining rounds tend to be "Tokui" or free kata rounds - ie you can do any kata you want from any style.

Fact is, if a wado guy does Seishan against a Shoto Jion– chances are that the judges will go for the Shoto Jion, because it looks nicer.

What this has led to is athletes learning how to perform all of the flashy looking Kata from across the styles, and disgarding the more "basic" looking ones which kinda defeats the point.

K.

Ahh thank you. The Shitei Kata was what I was referring to although I didn't know you had a free choice also. Still seems to me as though if you want to do your favourite Kata you are restricted in what you can choose. To me, going out of your way to learn Chinto in the Wado way when you are a Shotokan Karateka means diluting your Shotokan identity. But then again I guess that's sport.

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kusotare wrote:
DWx wrote:

K.

As per my previous post the WKF kata rules have changed. There is no more Shitei requirement. Also practitioners are not restricted to performing kata from Shoto, Goji, Wado or Shito as per previous.
Competitors simply need adhere to their dojo’s interpretation of the correct traditional kata of Karate. Minefield for the judges but better for competitors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: