Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned all at one school...

Personally I do not teach the "modern" routines, as they are not conducive with our style.

I have trained and fight in San Shou, I also have the ability to do forms. Most competitive guys train to do one or the other. Basically because at a meet, the San Shou guys can get bashed up pretty good, and would do poorly in the forms department. A guy who is good at patterns would not want to get hurt before his specialty.

Training time is split up different for forms competitors than that of San Shou. Although in June at the Nationals because my San Shou division ended after 1 day, and I wasn't hurting I entered traditional forms for fun, and won gold.

karateronin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wu Shu is an exceptional martial art. Very gymnastic and full of energy.

Cynthia Rothrork (Movie Star) as been a world champion several times.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wushu! COOOOOLLLL!

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was reviewing and cleaning up some of the gen. MA section and thought this was good for the kung fu section............

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

owthathurts
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about modern wushu then, "NO" I don't think it helps in a fight.

But I guess it would also depend on the school and teacher.

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although most people say Kung-Fu or Gung-Fu, Wu-Shu is the correct term for martial art in Chinese. Kung-Fu means to learn or over time or to develop wisdom with experience.

Wu-Shu is great for fighting, since Chinese martial arts kick butt! But, "Modern Wu-Shu" as it is performed in China and around the world is designed to entertain, which has tarnished the name Wu-Shu. Modern Wu-Shu where people are jumping and flying around is a demonstration of some the most flamboyant northern style moves in the book used to maximize the wow factor for the audience. Still I wouldn't count those guys out in fighting ability - they're in such awesome condition with great training they can probably fight quite well.

When Modern Wu-Shu was conceived real martial arts in China were illegal. So at that time real Wu-Shu was not allowed to be taught or displayed. Now things are different in China and once again real Wu-Shu is being taught openly since the Chinese government declaired real Wu-Shu a national treasure that must be preserved. Thank goodness they finally came to their senses.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace dear teacher, dear friend, dear brother, and dear father: Moy Yat Sifu

[ This Message was edited by: Shaolin on 2002-02-27 01:45 ]

ChangWuJi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kung Fu just means skill through hard work. Anything can be Kung Fu. The correct term for Chinese martial arts is either Wushu or Chinese Boxing. Some Chinese call traditional styles old Wushu and modern New Wushu.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: