Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, with this statement, you are saying the complete opposite of the what has been said before ("size matters") with a different subject, and still end at the same conclusion you made previously ("According to some of the posts here; knowledge matters. Therefore, those of less knowledge need to give up for one reason or another.")

As you can see, I replaced your words with from the original quote with other of your words from the same post, but I hope my point comes across. Basically, it ends up that those who don't know as much as one who is experienced like that, then they should just give up. But, we all know that isn't the case.

In the end, size, strength, speed, knowledge, technique, aggression, fighting ability, experience in fighting, etc, all end up being traits and characteristics that have to be taken in the totality of circumstances when it comes time to fight. One doesn't matter. They all matter.

Yeah, I can see your point..."They all matter." Nobody, and I mean NOBODY should ever give up no matter what it is that they bring to the battlefield...something is better than nothing! If nothing is all one has; then at least bring some heart.

Knowledge is a dangerious thing. Knowledge ISN'T the same thing as size. When I say size doesn't matter, it causes me to think about something I read once when I was a kid in a Judo book...SIZE DOESN'T MATTER! The small guy CAN defeat the larger guy. To me, that's KNOWLEDGE.

Knowledge can still be obtained, even if techniques aren't.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge and size can both be dangerous things. What happens when you put them together?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Knowledge and size can both be dangerous things. What happens when you put them together?

You join the NFL! Step a side...monster's in the house.

Seriously...you learn to use them both responsible.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good Eskrima practitioner that carries a blade has my vote. You did say no rules.

Calibrex
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kudoki (Northern Sil Lum and Southern Hung Gar)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Brock Lesner Reply with quote

Brock came from WWF into UFC as a heavy weight. He absolutly rocked the compitition. Only lost 1 (before his last defending title match) to a submission. Took 3 matches to get the belt. And defended it multiple times.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibrex wrote:
Brock came from WWF into UFC as a heavy weight. He absolutly rocked the compitition. Only lost 1 (before his last defending title match) to a submission. Took 3 matches to get the belt. And defended it multiple times.
Yes, very true. I heard that once he started training with BJJers on a regular basis, within about 3 months (I think) of training, they were not able to make him tap anymore.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't forget as well that Brock came out of a wrestling background with an exceptional pedigree and competitive record. He'd been doing martal arts for years in the form of wrestling, can't forget that.

Additionally, it's a sport centered around competition. He'd grown up drilling to win and working on his mindset to do just that. There was no learning curve on that.

Finally, he studied a martial art that is one of the main componants of MMA as it's known today.

So, although it seems that he walked in as only a WWE wrestler, he's actually comeing out of a background very well suited to the transition.

In fact, with the money being what it is these days in the UFC we'll see more and more quality wrestlers, with better and better pedigrees moving into it after they are done with wrestling I think. Brock is the highest profile poster boy for that coming wave I believe.

lparnes
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, MMA, Shootfighting, Karate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Cena, never gives up, will get hit 100 times and get up and say "is that all you got?" So he might do descent in a fight because of his work ethic.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
You can't forget as well that Brock came out of a wrestling background with an exceptional pedigree and competitive record. He'd been doing martal arts for years in the form of wrestling, can't forget that.

Additionally, it's a sport centered around competition. He'd grown up drilling to win and working on his mindset to do just that. There was no learning curve on that.

Finally, he studied a martial art that is one of the main componants of MMA as it's known today.

So, although it seems that he walked in as only a WWE wrestler, he's actually comeing out of a background very well suited to the transition.

In fact, with the money being what it is these days in the UFC we'll see more and more quality wrestlers, with better and better pedigrees moving into it after they are done with wrestling I think. Brock is the highest profile poster boy for that coming wave I believe.

Yes, all very good points. I think lots of people either forget or don't realize what he did prior to his WWE career.

guitarguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a street fight we have to consider so many things. First of all if the wrestler just walked up in a bar talking trash it may be possible because of his size and position he may have an ego and misjudge an oppenant. So he might talk trash and just as things get heated underestimate the guy he's trash talking, who might be a 5th dan black belt with boxing experience. In this case the smaller MA would sense danger and finish the fight before it starts.

We also must consider where the fight happens if both parties are prepared and ready to fight its a different story. Lets say it's confined and both parties are ready for a fight the bigger guy has a huge advantage. If its in the street on a footpath and theres lots of space to work with, the smaller guy if he's fit, well trained and mentally ready has a good chance because he can avoid the WWE guys strengths which is power and wrestling.

An other point i think is about utilising objects and obsticles around us. You could throw something at him or use a chair to hit him etc or use any kind of destraction. As stated a street fight has no rules, so if your in danger it's understandable to take into acount what you have available to you. This would come under street smarts and intelligence.

Personally for me I'm strong and solid for my age and height 170 cm tall at 180 pounds and im 17 but reach would be my an issue, this is just an example. I know i would lose at the moment but maybe down the track with further training it could be changed but reach is an issue sometimes. Even when i spar tall thin people it can be difficult though I usuelly either wait for counters or get in close.

Anyway long story short i think that it is very important to remember all the variables and be smart, look around, know what you've got at your disposal and this might go against some peoples beliefs, but i think you should throw the first strike. While I am against starting fights I think common sense dictates when we are in danger therfore making a premptive strike may be the difference between safely defending yourself and being seriously injured.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: