Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wondering just how hard the WWE superstar is going to hit when it's for real. Will he/she hit as hard as they can or will the ring habits cause him/her to throw a working punch? Brock proved to be an exception.

Just wondering!

Rychi
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real hard decision,

Wrestlers are defiantly in great shape, but that doesn't mean they are used to full on confrontations, big muscles doesn't mean you take punches better, whereas martial artists are (generally) trained in combat and rhythm.

Some wrestlers are amazing, kurt angle (olympic gold medalist and mastered amateur wrestling)

Brock Lesner went into UFC and MMA, where he dominated.

Ken Shamrok, himself and his brother went into MMA.

Bobby Lashley, he joined MMA too.

In my opinion, a smart martial artist would defeat a wrestler due to more experience in combat,

no muscle amount can outweigh the value of experience.

Forgetting the David and Goliath story?
I need to break through my limit, again."

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David used a projectile weapon to hit a larger than normal target. Never understood how that was somehow more impressive.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rychi wrote:

Wrestlers are defiantly in great shape, but that doesn't mean they are used to full on confrontations, big muscles doesn't mean you take punches better, whereas martial artists are (generally) trained in combat and rhythm.

Most of these guys can punch and kick as hard as they can, and have enough control to make sure that when the strike lands, it isn't damaging. If they decide to not slow down, the opportunity for them to cause damage is great.

The have amazing timing, agility, and speed - and a brain that has been taught to operate in a way that understands human movement, anatomy, and ring presence. They know how fast to move to close distances, and they understand angles of attack. All of this makes them pretty good at moving around and understanding the "battlefield".

Those "fake" punches, kicks, chairs to the head, and "bumps" aren't always as smooth and "fake" as they'd like. They get punched in the face by accident and under less accidental circumstances. The land wrong after falling from high places, and all sort of other nasty things. They do this night after night - some of them 300 nights a year or more...they're tough.

My recommendation? Get in a fight with a professional ping-pong player instead.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his book "Kill As Catch Can" on using freestyle wrestling for street fighting, Ned Beaumont mentions a few incidents of pro wrestlers fighting with police officers. All I can say is you definitely do not want to underestimate them. They are strong, tough, well conditioned, and can adapt what they know to really injure you. Hulk Hogan choking out Richard Belzer on TV is a good example of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
In his book "Kill As Catch Can" on using freestyle wrestling for street fighting, Ned Beaumont mentions a few incidents of pro wrestlers fighting with police officers. All I can say is you definitely do not want to underestimate them. They are strong, tough, well conditioned, and can adapt what they know to really injure you. Hulk Hogan choking out Richard Belzer on TV is a good example of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

Imho, that choke out wasn't real...it too was a working choke out!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rychi wrote:

Some wrestlers are amazing, kurt angle (olympic gold medalist and mastered amateur wrestling)

In my opinion, a smart martial artist would defeat a wrestler due to more experience in combat,

Ken Shamrock joined the WWF/E way after he had already established himself in the MMA world.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Imho, that choke out wasn't real...it too was a working choke out!!

I actually remembered when that happened (showing my age here). It was a big deal at the time and I think he eventually got a big settlement out of the Hulkster for it.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Rychi wrote:

Ken Shamrock joined the WWF/E way after he had already established himself in the MMA world.

Ken Shamrock established himself in the MMA world after establishing himself in Pancrase, which was after he's been a professional wrestler on the Georgia/South East regional circuit.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rychi wrote:

Actually, studies have shown that muscles help to insulate the body better from damage. So, having big muscles helps with being "tough." That's probably a big part of why most of the professional fighters out there are well muscled guys.

Rychi wrote:

I beg to differ on this as well. Being bigger and stronger than your opponent is a significant attribute in fighting and self-defense; that's why they created weight classes in professional combat sports. Its also the reason why in justifying a use of force, the size of the attacker can be brought into play in order to justify a higher degree of force in escaping an attack.

I'm not saying you are wrong in that experience isn't valuable; it very much is. What I am saying is that you can't discount someone's size and strength as an advantage to them, either.

You should also never assume that your attacker doesn't know anything about fighting. Underestimating your enemy is a good way to get thumped, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: