Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
In my honest opinion...

Whether one supports it or not becomes quite mute when the CI decides what will or will not be taught/trained. If the student likes it or not, it will fall on deaf ears because the CI runs the dojo and not anyone else.

Get use to it!! If not, go somewhere else!!

There is nothing mutish here about one step, as seeing it for what it is can help younger people towards understanding how it might benefit them, by having more educated choices to look at.

Watered down one step for children is fine but when taught to adults the same way then there is an obvious problem.

Karate blocking has come under scrutiny in the wider marital arts community, there is an obvious problem with it being viable the way it is taught.

All techniques can be modified to make them safer to train with the safety latch switched on, blocks included, which to my mind is what is happening.

Take the safety latch off when blocking it becomes something very dangerous, as a block or deflection is also a devastating strike.

Does anyone really think that traditional martial arts is the same as it was in the past?

As in the past techniques were brutal and life threatening, today the health and safety latch is firmly in place, something to consider, not only when training but also in life threatening conditions.

Sometimes being brutally honest with the truth is not favourable but there is no denying it's effectiveness

It is mute if I as the CI, says so, whether one agrees or not because I run said dojo without any ambiguity whatsoever. If others believe my decision, as CI, is wrong, harmful, and/or injustice, then so be it because it's my right as the CI.

Btw, I fully support one-step and so on and so forth. If I didn't, then I'd say so, and it would be so as to any training done in my dojo, and I'd care less what anyone would think!!

Proof is on the floor!!

Having a window on other people's opinions, is this not interesting and insightful, also in some way inspiring?

Depends on many things, whether they are or not. I've an open mind, until I've cause to have a closed mind, as well.

I believe you are in a position to open the minds that doubt one step's effectiveness.

The closest thing to one step I do is limb destruction techniques,
https://youtu.be/WFxD3glHdYI
at the end of class for obvious reasons, that they work too good to be practiced at any other time; using "karate type blocks" as a part of these activities; including elbows, hammer fists and closed fist punches, upper cuts, with perhaps a back fist here and there.

They are a good first contact, as attacking limbs first with an interception, helps breaking down the opponents intent.
https://youtu.be/BRSItmPnN6Y

Where this might be the right time to bring up the element connection concepts.

Whilst using these elements from an ancient martial art perspective.

Water is the softest penetrating; destruction.

Wood is straight linear sharp; destruction.

Gravel is gritty and grinding wearing down; destruction.

Earth is supporting holding trapping squeezing; destruction.

Fire is fast changes everything it touches; destruction.

Wind is flowing pressure; destruction.

Metal is the hardest heavy; destruction.

Adding attributes in any way that makes techniques appropriate.

As with these elements, one learns to control contact, how much destruction is needed between friendly practice and deadly intent.

Last edited by Alan Armstrong on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are ALL in the position to open the minds that doubt one step's effectiveness, whether one chooses to do so is up to that practitioner, and in that end, the effectiveness is up to THAT practitioner.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
We are ALL in the position to open the minds that doubt one step's effectiveness, whether one chooses to do so is up to that practitioner, and in that end, the effectiveness is up to THAT practitioner.

I was hoping that you would be showing something practical with an explanation from a one step sparring session, to gain a better understanding of its value; instead of rhetoric.

Nevertheless, here are more practical options available for those who are currently interested in developing their self defence skills.

How to outsmart another fighter

https://youtu.be/n2PGxOz6l_0

https://youtu.be/ZgivJ9d1Glg

Here is something which is practical from a none one step sparring approach that involves five layers of defence
https://youtu.be/27sGOiCE1IQ

There are plenty examples of one step sparring, however no one cares to ask or answer the "how" effective they are?

Also "how" many years does it take spent practicing one step sparring to become proficient at using them?

Why isn't one step Sparring taught in military academies or to police officers, yet boxing is prevalent in both?

This is not one step sparring
https://youtu.be/xwXlh1zugpA

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a good chance we are mostly talking around one another and comparing apples and oranges. I think traditional Okinawan and Japanese martial arts where you start from a very different perspective is not the same as MMA and/or Self Defense combative training.

This same conversation could and has been had over many aspects of Karate training from kihon to kata and everything in between. For instance I've heard the same argument about point sparring (which is not traditional in my opinion) and I agree on some aspects of the criticism, but you are not practicing for a Road House bar fight scenario in Ippon kumite. What you do get from it especially in Shotokan karate is one punch or kick power with precision without being hit by your opponent. Did Lyoto Machida stop at his Shotokan Karate training once he decided to go to MMA ? No but he did often utilize the skills he honed of decades of training that began with Kihon, Kata, step sparring and Ippon kumite.

I think the discussion we are having is like comparing a Japanese tea ceremony to stopping at the 7 Eleven and grabbing a big gulp. Sure one way is quenches your thirst faster and is more efficient, but they are not comparable. One utilizes skills that are only appreciated after being honed with dedication and patience to an age old art and the other does not. To me both absolutely have their place but they should not be compared as the same thing.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with a rhetoric response at all, considering the venue is greatly encouraging us in discussions and the like here at KF.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be sure to use one step retorical sparring, somehow on someone, somewhere, someday, just not today, unless provoked!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: