Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hapkido princess wrote:
we also say "break" at the end of our matches in Hapkido. A funny side note. Recently while my 6 year old son was at the dentist (I was also in the room) My son didn't like the dentist cleaning his back teeth and started to tap out.

That is kind of cute! The things that kids do, huh?

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff.

I like your signature.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Hanshi used to bounce, as he would say "a long time ago" and he has used this in real life. You would be surprised at how many people will stop in their tracks when you hold your hand up and yell STOP. He deescalated several confrontation this way, at the very least it disoriented his attacker long enough to give him the advantage. There where times it didn't work as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about yelling stop but distraction can be very effective

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi

Ann-Marie
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found myself in a situation a few years back whilst walking home from the pub with a few friends. As we turned a corner we were contronted with two people attacking a young lad. They were beating him to a pulp - no joke - he had blood pouring from his eye socket, temple, nose, mouth and other random cuts. His friend was desparately trying to get him away. There were lots of bystanders who looked absolutely dumbfounded (bystander effect I think it's called). My initial feeling was complete shock at the state of the guy and I just yelled "THAT'S ENOUGH". Apparently i was quite aggressive with it. It had an IMMEDIATE effect and the agressors backed off instantly. some guys in the crowd moved in to put a barrier between the attackers and victim and the victims friend pulled him away to get help.

With hindsight it probably wasn't the best of reactions that i had as they could quite easily have turned on me. I got the biggest telling off from my friends and some stopped speaking to me (no loss there in my opinion).

My point is, is that yelling something sharp and load at them made them stop in their tracks - but these people were working on full fight emotion and had lost control. A martial artist, who had learnt to detach themselves from the fight and flight mechanism, may have enough mental control to consider the request and respond with a no - it might not work in that situation. It would be difficult to test in a dojo as martial artists are conditioned to obey commands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: