Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the time it likely takes to reach a high level of competence and knowledge in a single martial art, it just is not realistic for someone to claim being so competent in more than two without being of a certain age.

How many people in their 30's or 40's have 1 masters degree? A Doctorate? Would anyone trust or believe in the competence of a 30 or 40 year old with 2 or 3 advanced degrees in very different, unrelated fields?

Most people are not career martial artists and have to work for a living. Where would they find the time to fit in all that training? It doesn't make sense, yet people still accept it.

But for some reason they will be quick to call Fraud on Jim Bob who is barely 40 years old and claims 3 PHDs and a Masters all in different unrelated fields.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Considering the time it likely takes to reach a high level of competence and knowledge in a single martial art, it just is not realistic for someone to claim being so competent in more than two without being of a certain age.

How many people in their 30's or 40's have 1 masters degree? A Doctorate? Would anyone trust or believe in the competence of a 30 or 40 year old with 2 or 3 advanced degrees in very different, unrelated fields?

Most people are not career martial artists and have to work for a living. Where would they find the time to fit in all that training? It doesn't make sense, yet people still accept it.

But for some reason they will be quick to call Fraud on Jim Bob who is barely 40 years old and claims 3 PHDs and a Masters all in different unrelated fields.

I earned both of my master's degrees in unrelated fields to each other and unrelated to my bachelors degree before 40. I was 36 when I earned my second master's degree. A professor in my first master's program earned her Ph.D a few weeks before she turned 26.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Is this McDojo or a group of mentally challenged black belts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q3qEFaaAWaM

I read a post on a thread on Reddit about this group which sheds some light on them. It was written by a former student...

"Headmaster" Dealy (as he's called) is a headmaster at a private school in Brooklyn, NY. The TKD school he runs is mainly for his academic students. The majority of adults in the videos are parents who train with their kids, parents that stuck around after their kids left, or faculty and staff members at the school. There's not much if any videos of the kids to protect their privacy. Most of the students are kids.

They do kata at a chaotic and frantic pace. They believe fights are chaotic and frantic, so their kata should also be done so. They believe they should overwhelm their opponent with speed, so their kata should be done accordingly. It makes sense on paper, but you be the judge if the theory is effective in practice.

The adults aren't being duped into thinking they're fighting machines; most are just there to bond with their kids and have some fun. Some stick around when their kids outgrow it, so to speak.

If they're meeting their true goals and aren't being sold something they're not getting, so be it. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO. If they're happy, which they seem to be, more power to them.

It's not for me, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not for anyone else here either. But that doesn't mean it's not the best fit for them. Live and let live. Sure I've had my share of laughs about them, but I don't take myself too seriously either.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

As Sensei8 says, "The Proof is on the floor." If someone says they have credentials, and can prove it, then I believe them.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update JR 137, there had to be some reason for what they were doing, but for the life of me, couldn't quite figure this one out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: