Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't remind me about tear gas. The army teaches you how nice you gas mask works by having you put it on and enter a gas chamber. There your group must walk around in a circle and then remove the mask. You must continue walking until everyone is choking real good. Theory being that will teach you to trust your mask.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Massachusetts you need a liscence to carry mace. You can get an F.I.D. card or if you have a firearms permit to carry you can buy and carry mace. I've never personally used it or carried it but my friend is a State Police officer who has used it MANY times and swears by the stuff. He also said that the stuff that is sold to the public is the same as is used by law enforcement. When you see the percentage on the bottle that refers to how long the effects will last and not how severe it is. Also, he notes if you use it on someone who is larger than you, once you mace them you should throw the bottle as far as you can as to avoid having it taken away and used against you.

Pete

Crucio
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents have a taser, the nice 10,000 volt variety,
i was walking up the stairs with the taser and some magazines in my hands after a trip and the magazines slipped and the taser turned on and it hurt really really really bad, also, i almost fell down the stairs, not fun.

on the subject of mace, whats the point of carrying it when youre a martial artist, i dont feel afraid when im walking in the street or an alley or something

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucio that wasn't too smart... hehe You're lucky that wasn't a gun or something. Always treat a weapon with respect no matter what it is. If it is a gun always handle it as if it was loaded, a sword that it can always cut you, a taser well you get the point.

Pete

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is quite simple, backup. Martial arts won't always work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point in carrying it?
The point: it is part of martial arts and shouldn't be considered otherwise, as all weapons are. If self-defense is your goal, why on earth lessen what you have available for defense? Pride will get one killed more times than not. It's not a pride issue, "I am not afraid to walk the streets because I am a big, bad martial artist. Hehehe" It's an issue of being prepared and not risking your life. Carrying a weapon doesn't replace martial arts nor back it up, it supplements it and is as much a part of it as learning to punch.

Don Gwinn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucio, it ain't about your feelings, brother. A lack of healthy fear is how martial artists who should dominate street thugs get killed by street thugs. Still, it's not about being afraid all the time. It's about being prepared. Are you deathly afeared of a car accident every time you drive? No? Me either.
But I wear a seatbelt.

The point of mace has been well-covered except for one thing--I would advise against considering mace or OC as "backup" to fighting hand to hand. If you check with your local police, you'll find their force continuum probably goes something like:

1. Presence
2. Verbal commands
3. Chemical spray
4. hand to hand/restraint
5. baton
6. firearm

The spray is ahead of hand to hand because it is less dangerous to you (distance is good) and because it will have no lasting harmful effects 99.999% of the time, which is often a better option than breaking an arm or a bullet between the eyes.

However, it has its drawbacks. First, you're almost certain to get it all over yourself in the process of using it, so you will be a teary-eyed, burning, snot-nosed mess too. This is especially true if your assailant is quite close, is able to close and grapple with you, or if there's a lot of wind or you're in an enclosed area.

Second, remember, OC and Mace are very effective deterrents most of the time, but they are only deterrents. People CAN and DO fight right through them on occasion, some of them without pausing to notice they've been sprayed. They do NOT mechanically incapacitate an attacker. Break a man's knee and he will not chase you. Not because he doesn't want to--he still might--but because he cannot. Put two bullets through his heart, brainstem, or spine, and he cannot continue the attack. Not "may not," cannot. Cut through his triceps and he cannot punch you. . . . I'm sure you all get the picture.

I'm not saying not to carry Mace. My wife, my younger sister and my mother all carry it after what happened to my sister, and I'm glad. Most of the time it will work well. Just don't count on it to be a reliable fight stopper every time. Do NOT mace someone and try to continue the fight--spray and RUN. If it dropped him, you no longer have any right to hurt him. If it didn't drop him, he's not someone you want to go toe-to-toe with.

Don Gwinn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, wait--you guys who wanted a mace can get a very good one with modern design and materials for about $40! Just in case:

http://www.ltspecpro.com/specpro/90m.html

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is mace exactly anyway - is it CS spray or a different chemical?

Does anyone know the first aid to aid someone who has been maced? I know what to do with CS as I've been exposed a few times to that. All good fun.

Don Gwinn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mace" is a brand name for a version of CS. People use it to mean all defensive sprays, but most of the others are OC, at least over here. You can get sprays that mix the two.

http://www.thefiringline.com
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: