Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings peepholes!

I was just wondering about martial arts challenges, like someone actually challenging someone else, to go to a particular place, to settle a grudge in an fight. I know this stuff used to happen in the old days but does it happen now?

Say, hypothetically of course, that someone u used to train with in an ancient and outdated style caught wind of your views of their style and decided that they would like to exchange words with you. And then say, also hypthetically, that the code of their particular old and outdated art would not permit them to cause a direct confrontation on the street, therefore they challenge u to a 'duel' of sorts, so they can prove that they are superior. And say that this duel was at this person's dojo, where u are surrounded by 10 or more of this particular style's students, and would find it perhaps a little more than difficult to walk out of the place if u came out victorious against this particular person.
Would u take up the challenge? Would u back away? Remember, this is a formal challenge of skill and honour, and the fact that u shot your mouth off about how bad this particular style was would make u seem even stupider if u didn't accept the challenge.

Any thoughts on what could be done?
Angus

Angus Argyle - KarateForums.com Sensei

Freestyle Martial Artist.

[ This Message was edited by: Angus on 2001-12-07 19:10 ]

rgovoro
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been watching " The Chinese Connection" ? I think that would be pretty cool, but if you gonna run your mouth, or face ten people on their turf , you better hope you have the balls to back it up. Unfortunately, in today's world, you would kick their butts, they would press charges and sue, and you'ld probably end up in jail taking anger management and sensitivity classes

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well.... The thing is, u see, that i once did a particular style of karate that i shot off about saying that it was useless for street combat and realistic situations. I happened to say this to one of my lady friends who, not knowing the damage it could do, told one of her other friends (a guy i trained with, who is a Sho Dan Ho (black belt)) why i had to say about this particular style... Therefore this dude then said that if i was so sure of myself that i could come back to the dojo and prove my theories. I've got teh sack to back up my claims, but i'm not superman, and i donb't know whether or not my winning would be taken lightly with all the other bb's at this place. I should probably have it held somewhere else. I've decided to take up the challenge.

On one hand i'm gonna enjoy it, but on the other hand i'm wetting my pants over the whole thing.

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not go looking for trouble; but when it comes knockin', you start rockin'

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on...

The way i see it, this is a challenge and a test of my honour as much as my skill. If i lose (which is a remote possibility which would be due to eddies in the space time continueum) then at least they will respect me for turning up.

I don't wanna have a drawn out fight though. I'm gonna go low, go fast, and finish it within a minute. These guys don't block with their legs or do leg kicks, so i'll show them the error of their ways.

Angus

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your setting yourself up man. You think for a second that someone is just going to let you fight in their school, and lose, your kidding yourself.

They are going to make sure that they have their best fighters there.

Less than a minute...sorry man, but get real.

Better to let this one go, and use your head, not your ego...

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah man, this guy is supposed to be one of their better fighters... I trained with him, so i've seen some of what he can do (mostly wimpy kata), and his strikes are not THAT good. I'm not going in randomly. This is the guy i am supposed to be *duelling*. If they wanna hide behind their numbers then let them, it says a lot for them.

I think i might trust them enough to hold to their word, but i have to be careful that i don't damage this bloke too badly.

Angus

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a martial artist I feel that if you have the stupidity to go looking for a fight, all ranks and known information about you doing martial arts should be scratched.

I feel that it is a stupid thing for a martil artist to do.It shows complete disregard for their instructors and the old MA masters and founders.

Karate-ni-sente-nashi
(no first attack in karate)

By doing this, in a way you are breaking one of karate's first rules.But if its not karate, then I have no idea what rule you will be breaking.Maybe not a rule to be broken, but disrespect to be shown

C Ya

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon - I seriously doubt students in a Karate School will go and really attack someone for dissing their system.

Hmmm go for sparring not a real fight.

Angus - let us know what happens
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: