Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shotokanka92
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan karate, boxing, wrestling.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go tougher with him to show him he should quit this class and go back down do to the fact of lack of maturity

humble monk
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there. We had a mixed class and paired up by rank. The kid I wound up with was 3 feet shorter than me. Though inconvenient, when we would have belts awarded, he would push to the front of the line to congratulate me.

TheArtofDave
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Pasaryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Just an idea... Reply with quote

Instead of thinking this kid is annoying. Maybe you could say hey I noticed while sparring you flinch, and act immature about this process. Do you mind if I take some time out of my day to help you out.

Often some people can be nervous. They need an example to show them that they have to put everything they have into this experience to get anything out of it. Maybe if he saw somebody in the class who was inclined to help him improve he'd be more comfortable with you and then he wouldn't be such a head ache when you were paired up with him.

We as martial artists should be humble. We should never be selfish with our training. That is often while other students become instructors because they want to pass along their knowledge. The other bonus is you get a pay check for teaching what you love, but you don't have to charge anything.

I think in this instance this kid needs a little guidance, and since you're paired up with him. What better chance than to work with him and help him improve.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make things difficult for that to occur. We have 1 kid who is 12 that trains with the adults but it is purely because he can't get into the advanced juniors class because his parents can't get off work to drop him off.

But he does goof off and doesn't do what he is supposed to. And us black belts often get paired with him to make him realize that he can't act like that. So we work him really hard

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started at my current school, the "adult" class was called the "family" class. Children, even younger ones, were allowed to train in this class with their parents. When I implemented the changes to the curriculum and programs 4 months ago, I eliminated this, and made the program for ages 13 and up. Now, I would love to make it for 18 and up only, but we don't have enough adults to justify a class like that.

We DO have students under 13 training in the class though. There are three ways that they could get there. 1) they are 12 years old and are very mature for their age. 2) they are at least 10 years old, have a sibling or parent taking the class, and are mature enough to take it with their parent or sibling. 3) they were grandfathered in. We currently have 2 students who were grandfathered in who should really be training in the kids class, unfortunately we cant force them into the kids class when they signed up with the understanding that they could train together as a family. I try to pair them up with their parents as much as possible.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rateh wrote:
When I started at my current school, the "adult" class was called the "family" class. Children, even younger ones, were allowed to train in this class with their parents. When I implemented the changes to the curriculum and programs 4 months ago, I eliminated this, and made the program for ages 13 and up. Now, I would love to make it for 18 and up only, but we don't have enough adults to justify a class like that.

We DO have students under 13 training in the class though. There are three ways that they could get there. 1) they are 12 years old and are very mature for their age. 2) they are at least 10 years old, have a sibling or parent taking the class, and are mature enough to take it with their parent or sibling. 3) they were grandfathered in. We currently have 2 students who were grandfathered in who should really be training in the kids class, unfortunately we cant force them into the kids class when they signed up with the understanding that they could train together as a family. I try to pair them up with their parents as much as possible.

I can understand pairing the kids with their parents as much as possible.

At my dojo we have a couple of younger kids that train in the adults class because their dad trains in it and is difficult for him (and his wife often) to take the kids into the juniors class. So we when are paired up to train, the two kids are paired up together whilst the rest of us are paired up together.

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does he run away a lot? I have seen that waaaaaaaaaaay too much with my son and kids that he fights. They run until the time is up.

It's a different situation from yours for certain as my son is either their age or a few years younger so he can be a bit more aggressive than perhaps you feel comfortable with in fighting someone very much younger than yourself.

I taught my son how to cut people off. How when there are no ropes (like in boxing) that there are still walls. I'm not advocating that you drive a side kick into them when their back touches a wall...because that seems to make people never want to fight you again...but even with a runner...there are things to learn.

Cutting off people is a very valuable skill. I have to ask...IF he was hit solidly...would that make him take it more seriously? I've seen people where it would not unfortunately...but have also seen a few that get far more serious when they realize that pain will be a result of them being too "immature." If it's the former and not the later? Just ask your Sensei to rotate fighters as you really do need variety to prepare for well anything really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: