Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry gentleman it seems ive have been misunderstood..angus original comment or theory was thtat he can control or channel his anger to work in making him a better fighter..what i was implying in my retort was that anger cannot be used in this way positively,,when giving into anger it is very difficult to control...it can be controlled intially but when giving into it its nothing but trouble...an example i work retail i sell electronics for a living..needless to say i work with customers who are snobbish and feel because they are spending money today they can speak to me in any manner they wish..some of them get me angry and i say to myself (i wish i could just kick your teeth in right now if front of your wife and then see how cool you are then as you spit your teeth out) however my need to continue earning money supercedes this impulse and the fact i dont want to spend the night in jail..now if i give into that anger these would be some immediate cosequences...however if i decicde to filp it up on him say i throw out a feature which he knows nothing about..well sir do you know this dvd has a progressive scan..no? well sir this tv do you know why or what makes the picture so clear..no? well let me explain it out to you(jerky boy i say to myself)then he has reason to shut up pay attetion to what im telling him and he now has respect for me(and for the most part at about this time he realizes what an * hes been)if i have a customer who continues i simply say have a nice day and walk away..that is what i do now..it hasnt always been that way i used to get into sarcastic verbal matches where we both wasted each others time and my anger would put me in a position where i had something to lose(my job)and he did not (customer is always right even if he is an *#*le)so my point is to control anger is good to try to use it give into it and then try to say i can channel or control it is an excercise in futility....

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really interesting topic. Well done to everyone who has contributed...

I have to say I can see both points of view but I don't get angry...because I practise yoga quite frequently (like for 1 hr every night)

But controlled anger sounds like a good idea to me really..if it can be acheived.

I think everyone has been in a situation where they've bitten their tongue in a situation when it wouldn't have been appropriate to retaliate...I'm not sure that it could be classed as controlling anger, but more showing common sense and maturity...I mean, we teach our kids that they can't always have things their own way, isn't that just the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taezee.... dude.... wha?..... did u even read my posts?

What you said as an argument just then makes no sense... U obviously didn't understand. I am saying that i CAN control my anger and put it to some use. CONTROLLED.... CONTROLLED..... CONTROLLED RAGE!!!! CONTROLLED! Sheeesh... maybe i shuld say it again, with extra emphasis... *(CONTROLLED)*!!
fbsdjfhj fhs... I don't lose it, i don't flip out

a quote: 'WHEN GIVING INTO ANGER IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO BE CONTROLLED'.... dude, this is exactly what i am saying and i am also implying that i have gotten past this... The fact of the matter is that i don't give into the rage.

Whatever, WHATEVER!
Angus

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre makinig me laugh over here...youre saying you can control your anger yet youre ranting in your last post like a child who is told they cant watch cartoons tonight..thank you for proving my point ..if it took my little posting to set you off on a tangent like that ...yeah control im sure...

defenestration_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what seems to be happening here is that talking about anger is making people angry, and the reason is simple.
listen to other people's arguments and if you don't agree then fine, say so, but leave it at that, let people have their say or otherwise things may get out of hand.
NO POINTLESS BICKERING PLEASE.

I found that one good technique while training is to relaxe and not tense up. i found out that i work a lot better without shouting while kicking, which is a habit i picked up. it tenses your whole body up and hinders your speed and accuracy. also, try not to screw your face up etc.... this also makes you appear constipated.

jus' me xxx

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus,
I agree. When you kiya it gets your adrenaline going and your mind ready for attack.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, that wasn't anger, it was frustration. Big difference. Anger would have been me smashing my computer with an ironing board or something.

Angus

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen students helped in learning to control their anger through traditional martial arts. I myself have been helped tremendously.
Anger can become a form of energy. A fuel for things both positive and negative.

For many of us the negative escapes verbally before it boils over into any physicallity. Believe it or not I find the indiscint sound of a kiai or a low growl to be a way to channel the verbal overflow without saying things innappropriate or of 4 letters even when I am alone.

When I initially read this thread I saw one thing but after reading and beginning to understand the thought processes of some of you I see different things in here now.

Maybe i am learning something?

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe u r ready to join the dark side of the force...

Angus

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Angus, we all have a dark and a light side. I don't think it is the best option to totally embrace either.

It would be best to be in balance but we are human for the most part and flawed.

The world of literature would be much less without the depiction of the struggles of the forces.

Also, I think it is remiss to not to acknowledge the existance of either side.

If you didn't have a lighter side you would not try to defend girls from being struck by bigger stronger guys.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: