Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR!!!!!!!!

Darkmonkey do we go to the same school?

Your dirty laundry list sounds like that of every other serious student at your level of training. I have heard eveyone of them announced to the class. Trying to properly say ossu and correct the problem AGAIN.

Your mae geri will improve as your flexibility improves in areas like you lower back, hamstrings and hips. It might help you to take a minute or so every day and hold your hand palm down in front of you. Kick upwards with your knee trying to hit the palm of your hand with your knee. Don't be dissapointed at first. Keep doing that and your center kick will improve.

:weirdlook:You sure we aren't in the same school?

Your post really hooked me.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldnt agree mo with what peeps said up there..

I always found that just hitting the basics often and perfecting them helped a great deal...because everytime i went back to them there is always something small that i realise that im doing wrong or could be doing better and then just plain practice till i drop. My sensei used to be really harsh on me, he'd make me stay after and practice, and wouldnt let me go home untill he was satisfied.

But yea what peeps say up there!

winterkarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im only a 7th kyu but i find myself messing up on a regular basis but i dont mind coz i know ill improve and darkmonkey, you said you train twice a week and get stuff wrong. well i train 5/6 days a week in dojo plus in my own time too and i mess alot up. but like i said ill get better. so will you. just work on what you get wrong more often.

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well one day you will learn how to do the things you have trouble with by practicing and trying your best intil you are good at it!!
good luck

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better many Sensei give their most promising students extra help and attention of that nature.

When you are offered no corrections, they worry.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if yours are anything like my past instructors, as you progress, they become more critical.

Something they allowed you to get away with earlier in you training, they now feel is time for you to polish up.

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments, keep them coming, for my benefit and for others, and because it's quite interesting. I do not think I'm that bad, actually I think I'm quite good, I do concur that he bothers pointing these things out because I'm fairly promising, there is another adult red belt and he is so apaling but he hardly bothers telling him to correct pretty much everything because he doesn't take it in.

I'm still finding faults constantly, which is good, and I really appreciate recieving the critisisms, but sometimes I just get annoyed at myself for doing it like that for so long, sometimes I get annoyed that our sensei took so long to point it out. Like I am grading the day after tomorow and only at the last lesson did he point out that I was stepping back into backstance rather than forward into backstance in Heian Nidan. It's annoying because when you go home you like to pratice but you don't want to practice your bad habits so it's nice to be corrected quickly on things, but with a list like mine, it can esape peoples notice.

The club is growing quite fast too, there are loads of new white belts which require constant checking, so I guess there isn't time to watch everybody.

Anyhow, keep talking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, Dark Monkey - about instructors not always having the time to check everyone and catch all of your mistakes - especially if you're one of many students in a class. I'm lucky though to have alot of resources I can tap - alot of senior assistant instructors and alot of black belts I can ask to critique me - I just got some help by a black belt the other day - I was practicing my spinning back kick and he took a good 10-15 mins. to point out to me what I could do to make it better...it was really nice of him to do that! I suggest you do the same and use any resource you may have in your school...black belts, assistant instructors or anyone you think could help you. We also have a large resource of everything we learn in class on paper so we can take it home with us and practice - it's a little difficult to follow when learning more complicated things, but it helps with the basics. Good luck!

Lori

-Unknown-

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkMonkey it is also possible that you were doing the kata correctly before and just slipped up.

Regardless, please come back and tell us how your test went.

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was feeling pretty sick, sore throat and a headache, I was pretty worried I woudn't feel up to grading but I skipped the pre-grading lesson and just took the actual grading and I made it through, even though I almost messed up the kata twice dispite knowing exactly how to do it and having practiced many, many times. A conbination of nerves and a slow head (due to the illness...).

Can't have been bad though the rest of my performance I was pleased with and I graded with no bad comments from Mr. Cherry. Most people get a '[Name] XXKyu - Work on your stances, more speed' etc. etc. But I just got a '7th Kyu' and that was it, so I presume I impressed sufficiently that he found no easily noticable flaws.

Ho hum. A good day all round (appart from me feeling like ****) my friend double graded like I did before him and my other hard up pal who did not have the funds to grade last time also double graded, which was nice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: