Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Instructor’s ceremonies varied depending on rank. The underbelts were called up, the old belt was untied and removed by the Instructor, then the new belt tied on – also by the Instructor. A short congratulations, bow and clap.
For Black Belts, each of the Black Belts on the panel gets to ask a question or two to the prospective Black Belt, usually stuff like: “What does Black Belt mean to you?” and “How does being a Black Belt change things for you?” Then everything else is basically the same, lots of bowing and hand-shaking. At my Jr. Black Belt test I was given a plaque for being the organizations first Jr. Black Belt. Then everyone that participated in the sparring signed my newly torn gi, followed by lots of pictures.
I watched my Instructor go for a belt test – I think 4th Dan - and at the end they passed around a sake bowl for everyone to share a drink.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass a sake bowl....man I want to join your school!!!! LOL!!!!!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aodhan wrote:
Ours is pretty cool, IMO. It's done in a darkened room, and there is a central large candle that is lit. The school owner comes in, lights his candle (Slightly smaller) from the big one. All the high ranks come in order of rank, and light their candles from the owner. Then, one by one, the new black belt candidates come up and have their votive candles lit by their primary instructor. There's a history tape playing, and explanations, symbolism and other things, it's a really cool ceremony.

Aodhan

AW man that is cool, its like a cult or something lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: