Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Your top 3 moments Reply with quote

What are your top 3 training related moments?

For me it’s
#1. Unsanctioned MMA fight night when I was a teen. Fought a ‘ninjutsu’ guy who had about 10-15lbs on me. The fight lasted about 45 seconds. I threw a kansetsu geri to the knee, which dropped him on to that knee, followed up with a flurry of punches (3-5) then ended it with a rear naked choke.

#2.would be while I was working at my second hospital, a patient was detoxing from decades of alcoholism, and had begun hallucinating. I had him in a wrist lock, my forearm across his tricep and bicep, using both leverage and pain compliance to keep him from getting up, but the pain wasn’t working and he stood up. I don’t recall if I actu Swept his foot, or if it was more of a knee to the back of the thigh , but popped a leg up from under him, and tossed him back into the bed.

#3. Probably ending a successful run of my own program after a year to pursue other opportunities.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.being a brown belt and competing for the first time against two Japanese competitors at the BB level.
I timed my ippon against them well, and they complimented me on my speed.

2.being a brand-new BJJ white belt with no stripes and submitting an experienced blue belt with an ezekiel choke.

3.entering a martial arts gym and staying there till black belt

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Passing my first black belt testing, back in 1994.

2. Getting together for a weekend of training with my friend, Bob, or as you all around here know him, sensei8.

3. Getting to attend a week-long law enforcement defensive tactics instructor certification course taught by Royce Gracie.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. A very new, young and nervous yellow belt in an open Shotokan tournament. I got matched against this black belt that was cleaning everyone up . He had massive long gangly limbs, long reach , was sticking his fist in people's faces and they could not hit him with side kick .

He kept holding his arms out, nearly straight and jabbing at me . It annoyed me so I thought to attack what was annoying me and 'in my way ' . I stepped through with back leg, kicked his fist and followed through with a lunge punch to the face . I must have jarred a finger , he stopped hunched his shoulders lifted his arm and hand up and back and at the same time he moved his back foot forward and rose up a bit and moved forward a bit .

Ref blasted his whistle, jammed his index fingers together ( two opposes forces meeting ) , flung one finger in the air then pointed at me "Ippon" ! - a one point win . He looked so furious the ref jumped between us to shield me .

2. Aikido ; A successful randori against 3 black belts with the 3 different weapons . I was white belt, but had been that for a long time - previously I had done very good training with old school akikai guys in various locations in Sydney. I moved to the country, no aikido. Then a club opened . Things seem to have degraded somewhat . Then some visiting black belts came for a seminar , one knew the guys I had trained with earlier and he asked me for how long - it was him that suggested I 'be allowed' to have a go when the seniors where playing randori . First they started going easy on me , after a bit it got real fun .

3.Very beautiful young lady , about half my age , the 'head turner' of the town and then, recently my new girl friend , turns up at training , says "I will wait for you outside darling ."

Jaws drop, gawp ... stare incredulously.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. My Sandan grading 10 years ago, received really good feedback on how well I done and how mature I was for a 21 year old.

2. My Shodan grading after watching me in kumite the examiners used me as an example to spar with one of the higher dan grades.

3. Winning gold medal at a world championship for Kata (was in 16-21 year old category just after I turned 16)

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be a tough one to answer after being on the floor for over 5 decades...

1. Seeing the smile on the faces of my students whenever they have a Aha Moment!!

2. Having my Hanshi bestowed upon me!!

3. Getting together for a weekend of training with my friend, Brian, or as you all around here know him, bushido_man96!!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bob on this one. I've been thinking about this for 2 days.

1: Not only receiving my Shodan after an arduous, painful test, from my Sensei, but one from a grandmaster in their style as well.

2: I've recently started creating Karate educational content. It has only been week, but I have found it to be incredibly fulfilling and fun (if not a little silly at times when I take photos at the park).

3: Starting the belt journey over. It has caused me to have perspective changes. Re-evaluate the Karate I learned first in a more objective way and has made me a better martial artist all around. It humbled me not in temperament, but in intellect; and I'm grateful for that.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Scoring 3points and winning in point kumite via high kick.

2. Winning gold for the firs time in kumite.

3. Winning my first full contact fight.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all time? Wow, what a question.

1) Getting my Shodan. I started when I was 11 and got my Black Belt just before my 18th birthday. I grew a lot during that time, as we all do as children. More than anything, it felt like the moment that I became an adult.

2) Starting my own school. The last 3 months have been amazing. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

3) Seeing my kid take a passion for martial arts. I'm just so dang proud of her. She's really an incredible kid.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Passing my (very intense) shodan test.
2. Watching my son pass his nikyu test AND being able to award him his stripe.
3. Every day I get to train!
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: