Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Moving Our Focus to Street Tested Martial Arts [:)] Reply with quote

Edit: This was an April Fools' Day joke. Please read the second announcement for full details.

Hello,

Thank you for visiting KarateForums.com.

As we've grown over the past (nearly) nine years, we've continually noted the importance of martial arts tested in the only arena that matters - the street. This has only become more prominent during the last few years. As such, today, I wanted to share some plans that we have to focus more on these street arts.

It's not so much about a particular art as it is about where you've personally tested the art. For this reason, we've decided to validate all memberships on this community on a manual basis, after receipt of a video demonstrating proficient use of your art in the street.

If you have not used your art in the street, with video evidence of you doing so, you will not be able to hold a membership here. I realize that this may exclude some people and I apologize for that. But, I see this as a natural evolution of this community.

As far as video guidelines go, you will need to be plainly seen in the video. After the fight footage, we'll expect a separate short clip of you holding up a piece of paper with your KarateForums.com username on it. That is why you need to be plainly seen - so that we'll able to verify that you are the same person featured in the flight clip.

The definition of street is loose. Pavement, asphalt and gravel are all acceptable. No carpeting of any kind. It cannot be indoors. It must be an actual area with businesses or establishments. It cannot be your backyard, for example.

We expect to roll this out slowly. All new accounts from this point forward will be placed into a validation que to await video. All current members will need to submit their videos, but this can be done by July 1.

We'll launch some site based facilities soon, to enable the easy uploading of video. But, if you'd like to get a jump on that, you can send your video to me directly at patrick@ifroggy.com.

I look forward to seeing the long term effects of this change, which should greatly enhance our community.

Thank you for reading and for your support of KarateForums.com.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[OBLIGATORY FLIP-OUT WITH SUBSEQUENT EMBARRASSED EDIT]

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Patrick! Lookin' forward to some great vids!!!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested to see an example of how "proficient use" is defined.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be cool to see how the different styles and people handle street fights.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with this. I am a Grand Master Keeper of the Secret Ninja Death Touch (just send £500 and you could be too). My video looks like I am buying a pound of grapes but in effect the grocer is slowly dying from internal cell damage caused by the proficient use of my art. He is not likely to clog it until after the deadline so can I get my a deferred validation, about 60 years should do it...

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all.

Toptomcat,

No worries.

Derwentbob,

I'm going to presume your joking. Haha. That was pretty good. That said, this announcement is serious and I hope that you'll be able to submit a video before July 1. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

GeoGiant,

Good question. For the sake of this endeavor, I would define "proficient use" as an actual confrontation in a street setting (defined in the initial post) where you ably defended yourself. Not "won," but defended yourself. All of this should be included in the video, of course.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. You got me for like the first three sentences.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm the only one confused [certainly not the first time]. What is the probability of someone having a video of themselves being attacked? Are we talking about a real, non-staged, confrontation in the street? You want to see me in a fight... I giggled when I typed that.

I enjoy talking with people here and I have the technology to record myself but I don't want to start a fight with someone so I can record it... again giggles. I guess my only other option would be to walk through bad neighborhoods with my bother in tow with a video camera... and I have to say if I'm not winning I hope my bro puts down the camera and helps me... again giggles.

Please tell me that I'm misunderstanding your request.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure what you mean, Lupin1.

GeoGiant,

No worries, I'm glad to help, don't worry about it. You've pretty much described what we'll expect to be contained in the clip.

At the end of the day, you are either using your art in real situations on a regular basis or you are not. If you are, then it shouldn't be too difficult to to record it in some manner or another.

I hope that this clarifies any confusion.

I appreciate your time and cooperation.

Thanks,

Patrick
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: