Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

powerof0ne
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shito ryu, kakutogi, kyokushinkai, muay thai..and more

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally know someone that tested for shodan in about a year of training in Japan..he was 16-17 at the time. He was around the same age as me and he did fail his shodan test, I'm not sure if/when he retested. I can't even remember which style exactly, I want to say it was a style of Kempo..I doubt Shorinji kempo, but who knows.

Charlie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Enshin Karate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powerof0ne wrote:
If I was to be their for 8 months I would train in Daido Juku.

There are several styles in Japan that don't have many, if any, schools in other countries so this might be your opportunity to train in one of them. Daido juku is one of them. Another two are Odo (Satojuku) and Seido-kaikan (I think this is the organization that started K-1). I understand that all three of these styles are known for intense training sessions.

Also, the honbu for most of the larger organizations like the three Kyokushin (IKO) organizations, JKA Shotokan, Kodokan Judo, Shidokan, and Ashihara (NIKO), are located in Japan and I understand most have programs for non-Japanese students to come train with them. Whichever organization you choose, you probably should email them first to give them a "heads-up" that you're coming so that they can be expecting you.

Where are you going to be in Japan?

powerof0ne
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shito ryu, kakutogi, kyokushinkai, muay thai..and more

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reasons for training in Daido Juku is because of Kiyotaka Kato...he is one tough guy. If you earn a shodan in Daido Juku you can definitely fight.
Anyhoo, yes seidokaikan formed by Ishii is the style that founded K-1. It depends what kind of Karate you want to do but the bottom line is it is very unlikely you will be a shodan in 8 months.

weaponless
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Aikido, Jiu-jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I'll be in Japan for 8 months Reply with quote

Dominus wrote:
Is that enough time to master traditional karate? When I say "master", i dont mean get a 9th degree blackbelt and be able to win every tournament in the world, but I mean at least get a blackbelt and get the hang of it.

Many people tell me the original traditional karate is the best out there. Is it true?

Short answer..... not a chance. Eight months is nothing in Karate; however, eight months is more than enough time to get hooked . It also depends on the individual how far you can go in eight months. For some people, in the first eight months, they're still struggling with the more basic stances, while someone else might be doing spinning flying kicks. But no one can master karate in such a short time. But you should have an idea on whether you like it, for some, it will already have become a part of their daily routine. Karate is a life-long journey, so don't be rushing through it or you might miss the point. Eight months of training in Japan though will be a great experience for you and will definitely be worth it, and when you return, you can always continue your training at a school where you live. By then, you should have a grasp on some of the basics, which will be your foundation. Work your basics over and over and you'll be fine.

I like how Mas Oyama put it.... Kihon (basics) is like the letters of the alphabet. The kata are like words or sentences. Kumite (sparring) is like a conversation. Your first eight months will basically be you learning the letters of the alphabet. Don't worry, it won't be boring like taking 8 months to learn your ABC's, lol.

Welcome to the world of Karate... I know that you'll love it. Tell us all about your experiences when you get back from Japan.... I for one would be interested in how the beginner in Karate is taught in Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: