Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: KarateForums.com Turns 20 Years Old! Reply with quote

Hello,

(Share Your Stories | Post on May 21)

On this day, 20 years ago, KarateForums.com launched. What started as a simple conversation between a couple teenagers has become a special community that has made a difference to many people.

Through your contributions to this community - the thoughtful way you share your knowledge, the kind manner in which you make newcomers feel welcome, and the spaces you create for others to add their experience - you've touched millions of martial artists around the world.

I know because I've seen it, and I've had members tell me. Again, again, again, and again. What does this community mean to you? Please respond to this thread to share or post it here.

The last 14 months have illustrated this. Through personal setbacks, we've been here for one another, to offer support and help get through these challenging times.

It's hard for me to put into words what this community means to me. When I started it, I was in a totally different place. I was still in high school. I finished high school, grew up, wrote a book, built a career doing what I do here, moved several times across 4 different states, met someone, got engaged, and got married, with all sorts of random moments along the way.

I've been building online communities for over 20 years now, and I've helped a lot of people do the same. I've helped hobbyists, nonprofits, small companies, companies you know, Fortune 500s, and more. But no matter who I'm helping, I always draw from the lessons I've learned here.

If you've contributed to KarateForums.com, thank you. Thank you for being a part of what makes this community so special. When I talk to people about KarateForums.com and what it makes it great, what I'm most proud of, it's you. I know that sounds cliche, but it's the members of the community that I am proud of. It's the fact that someone in need can come here, and thoughtful people will respond to them with kindness and helpful advice.

Don't ever underestimate the impact that one post can have on an individual - or on many of people. Each time you contribute thoughtfully, you impact lives. Sometimes in big ways, sometimes in small ways, but we're always impacting people.

To thank individual members is always hard because we have had enough members where I'll always leave some people out. That said, I do want to highlight our current staff, all of whom have been on the team for years (some well over 10)! They have helped to maintain this thing that we all enjoy, and I appreciate all of their support and kindness. Their contributions to the community cannot be overstated.

Thank you to Brian/bushido_man96, Danielle/DWx, Noah/Wastelander, Bob/sensei8, Liam/Nidan Melbourne, JR/JR 137, and Mo/mazzybear.

I would also like to specifically highlight many of our members who have visited in the last few months and, either recently or in the past, have thoughtfully contributed to our community.

Thank you to 333kenshin, advfhorn, Alan Armstrong, ashworth, aurik, bassaiguy, BeefcaketheBarber, Bobd400, Bobfromtekken, Bulltahr, ChpsahoySE, Chucksmanhood, CTTKDKing, Dmitriy, Drillscoach, Fat Cobra, FightingFox, GojuRyu Bahrain, hammer, hawkfish, Himokiri Karate, JazzKicker, jdash, Kanku65, kenpo4life, kenshinkan08, LastKing, Lupin1, Miick 11, mjh1969, monkeygirl, Montana, Nevinyrral, nunopicado, oldtimer, Questor, The Pred, Radagast, ramymensa, Raul Perez, RJCKarate, RW, scohen0300, Shaolin13, SLK59, Spartacus Maximus, sperki, Spodo Komodo, stonecrusher69, tdiedwards, Theochh, tselec, vantheman, Wado Heretic, Wamp, Wayofaswede, wildbourgman, and Zaine!

We're going for a low key celebration this year because the time I've been spending on KarateForums.com has been dedicated toward working on an important change for our community that I hope will solidify our next 20 years. It's super positive: Everything that you like about KF, only better. But I am going to talk about that in a separate announcement!

At any rate, that's what's on my mind today, as we mark 20 years. I'd love to hear what's on yours, either here or in the stories thread.

Thanks for reading.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick on Fri May 21, 2021 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Patrick, for your hard work and dedication to this forum. 20 years is a long time to stick with a project!

I'm so blessed to have you all in my life. I have learned so much from you all not just about martial arts, but about community, building relationships, respectful discussion, and leadership.

So much of the internet today has become a place of toxicity and bickering. You can barely make a post without it becoming a nasty argument. This place it different. It's an oasis. And all of that comes down to the leadership of Patrick and the moderators and our wonderful members.

Here's to another 20 years! (I'll try not to think about how old I'll be on THAT celebration)

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for sharing this, Devin. It means a lot to me, and thank you for being a part of what has made that so.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I've edited the initial announcement to include a link to my post about the next 20 years of KF: https://www.karateforums.com/securing-the-next-20-years-of-karateforums-com-vt54957.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: