Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ITSUKO
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: absorb like a sponge Reply with quote

Are you naturally talented or know someone at the dojo/dojang learn martial art faster than their peers? Are they really good in every aspect?

Martial art is not something that can be learned over nite. Practice, endurance, and refining the techniques are the key to a good MA practioner. However, natural skill, flexible, quick learner and long memory are a plus.

Please share.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my belief that three things determine learning speed, with 'mindset' being the most critical. If someone enters with a personal agenda that is far removed from the training program established in the school, his studies are going to be specialized, which means he won't grasp the total system... and won't progress as quickly. Thus the old line, "empty your cup."

Another is... there are four basic learning behaviors. That of group interaction, sight, auditory, and tactile (or physical interaction). Not everyone is built the same, and people who are more sight oriented need to 'see' things done in order to learn them while lectures work wonders for those strong in the auditory arena. Others find social interplay to be the quickest way for them to learn, and still others find that hands-on is really the only way for them to go.

If a school's manner of instruction does not coincide with the manner(s) in which a student takes in information, the student will be at a disadvantage.

And last is 'prior' experience. Walking into a completely different martial arts system is not 'usually' as daunting to someone already well versed in one or more other systems.

edit: Sometimes the last clashes with the first. I.e., someone well versed in one or more systems has some preconceptions (mindset) as to how things are done and due to this will be less willing to 'accept' a new approach.

Intro

Bdaze
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Parker Kempo, Budo taijitsu. Kenjutsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definetley thing that you can have a natural ability to learn martail arts. I think it mainly has to do with the way you learn and remember things

I am probably the quickest learner in my class (not to brag. i may learn quick but i am by no means the best) Sensei demostrates a technique and i make an image of it in my mind.

taking note of things like which side to step to, foot possitioning and wieght distribution helps to duplicate the technique.

once you've done it a few times and you think you have it down, running it through in your mind. visualizing it, or practicing it without a partner can help

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

blitzcraig
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: National Karate/TKD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never quite understood how some people can just...do things. I taught myself the 360 roundkick before I even started taking karate, and there are people takin it how still cant do one.
#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

supergroup7
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: absorb like a sponge Reply with quote

ITSUKO wrote:

Please share.

I think that observing what is happening around you, and using your mind/body to recreate it in yourself is one of the keys to being a good learner in the arts. You have to be able to "see" in your own mind the same idea of what is expected by your teacher.. I've seen alot of students doing what they "think" is expected of them, and not seeing what is demonstrated. It is really hard to correct their technique, or actions because they really do not see the difference between what they are doing, and what the instructor is doing.

Yes, there are people with genetic bonuses of better flexibility, or strength, but without the ability to observe, learn, understand, and recreate the movement in themselves.. it will be difficult for them to learn something as physical, and mentally challenging as martial arts.

ITSUKO
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing White Warlock. I gain a better understanding of myself through your explanation. My natural ability to learn katas by watching is resulted by sight orienting. I tried to find answer to this gifted ability. I thought my strong background in mathematics and science helped. Most of these concepts can only be visually but have a common demoninator of symmetry. Most katas are symmetry in way of having (+, X, T, I) patterns and 1,2 or 1,2,3 in certain directions.

Imitating of what we see (sight-oriented) is the main agreement here. Thanks guys.

ITSUKO
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing White Warlock. I gain a better understanding of myself through your explanation. My natural ability to learn katas by watching is resulted by sight orienting. I tried to find answer to this gifted ability. I thought my strong background in mathematics and science helped. Most of these concepts can only be visually but have a common demoninator of symmetry. Most katas are symmetry in way of having (+, X, T, I) patterns and 1,2 or 1,2,3 in certain directions.

Imitating of what we see (sight-oriented) is the main agreement here. Thanks guys.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as martial arts goes, I'm quite a slow learner. I'm very quick at academic subjects, but slower than a dead snail at learning most sports/physical activities. Because I'm much quicker at picking things up academically I find that I learn things in karate and aikido quicker if I do a lot of reading about them beforehand. Reading about a particular technique can sometimes help me to understand it even more than I would if I was just shown it by my sensei.

Sheffield Steelers!

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... sounds like your strength is auditory.

Reading is, oddly enough, an auditory skill. I.e., when you read, you are essentially having the book talk to you (by having you talk to yourself). It may be that your instructor doesn't talk very much in class, which would account for your learning struggles in that particular school. It does sound like you're handling it well though, in that you're reading about the employment of techniques and ideals prior to every session, as a means to compensate for your instructor not being 'perfect' for your learning base.

Intro

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my instructor does talk quite a bit in class, but if I'm listening to someone say something I also like to see it written down in front of me (which isn't very practical for a martial arts class. "Oh, wait Sensei, let me just go get my book so I can understand what you're on about"). It's just one of my many quirks.

On a side note, I work with children with Special Educational Needs and a lot of the work I do is reinforcing things through either visual, auditory or kinesthetic learning, depending on how each child learns best.

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: