Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Metsubushi
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Aikido and Judo Reply with quote

What are the differneces cos what i can se they both have join locks exept judo has throws aikido doesnt to me it seems that aikdo took idears from judo so can you help me no what is different and simualities of them

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo was made as kind of a sport. Aikido was made as a pure art, with little fighting. They both took what they know from Juijitsu.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kano's Judo was not a sport and was brutal. Aikido is more spiritual than anything, but can be very effective as well.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Kodokan Judo, then get back to me. He didn't make it to be a sport like we pratice today, but he did want it as a sport.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Kodokan Judo created after the unification of Japan so there was less need for Combat Martial Arts like the Koryu Bujutsu? If I have time to read Kodokan Judo I will.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was created around the turn of the last century by Kano.

MawashiGeri60
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

created around the turn of the last century by Kano
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Kano Jiu-Jitsu Contest Rules Reply with quote

The Original Kodokan Judo Tournament Rules
H. Irving Hancock and Katsukuma Higashi, The Complete Kano Jiu-Jitsu (Judo), (New York: Dover Publications, 1905)

1. Each contestant shall wear coat and belt.

2. A contestant shall be deemed to have been defeated when his two shoulders and hips shall have touched the floor, provided that said contestant shall have reached this position on the floor through having been thrown down.

3. A contestant shall be deemed to have been defeated when in such position on the floor, if said combatant cannot free himself from his opponent's arms within two seconds' time.

4. A contestant shall be deemed to have been defeated when from any cause or causes he may become unconscious. But it is not permitted to use serious tricks when the wrestling bout is between friends. Such tricks as kicking and the breaking of arms, legs, and neck are barred.

5. A combatant shall be deemed to have been defeated when he has been reduced to submission through the employment by his opponent of any hold or trick.

6. When a defeated combatant finds himself obliged to acknowledge his submission, he must pat or hit the floor or his antagonist's body, or somewhere, with his hand or foot. This patting with foot or hand is to be regarded as a token of surrender.

7. When a defeated combatant pats or hits the floor, or anywhere, in token of submission, the victor must at once let go his hold.

8. It is understood and agreed that the Jiu-Jitsu man, whether he fights a boxer or contests with a wrestler, shall be allowed to use in his defense any of the tricks that belong to the art of Jiu-Jitsu.

9. It is further understood and agreed that the Jiu-Jitsu man assumes no responsibility for any injury or injuries caused by any act or thing done during the contest, and that the Jiu-Jitsu man shall be held free and blameless for any such ill effect or injury that may be received during the contest.

10. Two competent witnesses representing each side, or four in all, shall see to it that these articles of agreement are properly drawn, signed, and witnessed, to the end that neither contestant or other participant in the match shall have cause for action on any ground or grounds resulting from any injury or injuries, or death, caused during the contest.

http://judoinfo.com/rules.htm

Still think it's just sport?

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how these are the Tournament Rules, I don’t see how your post above proves anything. Everyone calls UFC nothing more then a sport, and they fight rougher then that.

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching a Judo tournament, Kano reportedly gathered the participants together and told them:

You fought like young bulls locking horns; there was nothing refined or dignified about any of the techniques I witnessed today. I never taught anyone to do Kodokan Judo like that. If all you can think about is winning through brute strength, that will be the end of Kodokan Judo.

Popular information on Judo is rife with misconceptions, many the result of casual observations of modern sport judoists. Of course the Judo originally conceptualized and popularized by Jigoro Kano, the founder of Judo, is quite different than the modern sport version. One of Kano's key motives in creating his Judo was to preserve the ancient martial arts schools or ryuha, their long legacies and lessons gleaned from centuries of battlefield experience, and the vehicle they provide for the perfection of the individual and therefore the human race.

http://www.judo1.net/ju01002.htm

After reading the above article found on the link provided you have to see that Judo is Kano's jiu jitsu and judo can be performed as an art or self defence. I was taught the self defence aspects, it was just called judo.

Sho(as in shotokan)-ju(as in judo)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: