Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

calee
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Aikido or Jujitsu?? or another? Reply with quote

Hi
This is my first forum post. I started kickboxing a couple months ago and am going for my first grading in a week or so. But i want to compliment this with a grappling type of MA. I dont know which would be the best for me Aikido or Jujitsu or are there some others that someone would recommend?? I also want to do TKD but dont know which would be the better choice.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose jujutsu. Jujutsu is more "punching oriented" so it might be easier to integrate with kickboxing (meaning, you may be allowed to use your kickboxing skills in jujutsu class too, which you cannot do in aikido class). Though aikido came from aikijujutsu, so there are significant similarities. It also depends on the jujutsu style (Japanese? Brazilian? American? European?) as they can vary like night and day. And of course, it depends on what you want from the training? If you want lots of wrestling on the mat, aikido is the wrong choice and so on. My suggestion: go visit the schools and talk to the instructors.

calee
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kirves. What are the differences between the Jujitsu styles - are there any good websites that would explain the differences?

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! There are so many different styles, they really can be like night and day.

Some styles are almost purely groundfighting (like Brazilian styles often are, though they do teach some throws and standup stuff too, at least occasionally - I guess it depends on the school).

European styles are pretty much like combining kickboxing with judo. That is, they use boxing hand tehcniques, the usual kicks, the most common throws and locks, plus contain groundfighting.

Japanese styles are very flowing, soft. The original Japanese jujutsu was entirely about bending with the opposing force and turning it on him. These styles have the most similarities with aikido, but also contain lots of sharp "atemi" strikes to weak points while going for the throw and hold. Often contains the whole "samurai" curriculum, i.e. training with swords, staffs, spears and so on. Usually focus on standup grappling and throwing, as a samurai who fell on the ground was usually a dead samurai. Some styles do have groundfighting though.

I have very little knowledge about US jujutsu styles, so I won't comment on them. My guess is that they are similar to European styles, but I might be wrong.

calee
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i think i like the idea of the japanese styles......thanks again for your help im off to look into it now (provided my boss isnt around)

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what aikido style is it? There are some very effective aikido styles too, but sadly they are far and between... Some of them are really like Japanese Jujutsu. For example, Sensei Shoji Nishio is known for stressing atemi-waza (striking methods) and effective street defence in his teachings.

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the dojos of the schools? Just dropping by and watching, or better yet - participating in - a class or two might be the best way to resolve whether you like the style, and even more importantly, the instructor/school.

-Lao-Tse

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly - as I already suggested in the first msg. Also check the schedule, prices, facilities, location... How they fit your needs and life circumstances.

calee
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i'll be on the case as soon as i have a spare second

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikido can be approached from so many different angles. Some stressing atemi waza, some more on Ki development....... etc.

If you interested in the more Self Defence area, then either Yoshinkan, Shodokan or Yoshinkai. The more long haul styles are Aikikai, Shin SHin toitsu and Ki.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: