Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: American Kenpo versions Reply with quote

Is there versions for the American Kenpo ?! There is a new American kenpo school opened close to me & they are teaching American Kenpo Version 5 (Jeff Speakman Kenpo 5) !

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no definitive answer to this, imho, because, if memory serves me, there's 50,000 versions of American Kenpo. I know, 50K is quite a large number, so much so, that it's quite hard to either fathom and/or believe that there just might be...50,000 versions of American Kenpo.

After all, Ed Parker's version of American Kenpo, as founded by James Mitose, is just that, a version of American Kenpo. Note: James Mitose was never Ed Parker's instructor: Professor Chow!!

As you've already noticed in your OP, Jeff Speakman, a Ed Parker black belt, has his own version. I've noticed over the years, that the many versions of American Kenpo simply use that founders name as the name of the American Kenpo version that they've founded; not all, but many.

Ed Parker is probably most known to Kenpo practitioners as the founder of American Kenpo, as well as also being the "Father of American Kenpo". Most, if not all, Kenpo practitioners accept that he's deserving to the title of Senior Grand Master of American Kenpo.

Many of Ed Parker's black belts, both Junior as well as Senior, have founded some type of American Kenpo version, and that some, not all, are not quite fond of each other for some reason or another. This became quite evident and apparent very shortly after Ed Parker passed away.

So, 50K versions might be not an exaggeration at all...maybe!!

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
There's no definitive answer to this, imho, because, if memory serves me, there's 50,000 versions of American Kenpo. I know, 50K is quite a large number, so much so, that it's quite hard to either fathom and/or believe that there just might be...50,000 versions of American Kenpo.

After all, Ed Parker's version of American Kenpo, as founded by James Mitose, is just that, a version of American Kenpo. Note: James Mitose was never Ed Parker's instructor: Professor Chow!!

As you've already noticed in your OP, Jeff Speakman, a Ed Parker black belt, has his own version. I've noticed over the years, that the many versions of American Kenpo simply use that founders name as the name of the American Kenpo version that they've founded; not all, but many.

Ed Parker is probably most known to Kenpo practitioners as the founder of American Kenpo, as well as also being the "Father of American Kenpo". Most, if not all, Kenpo practitioners accept that he's deserving to the title of Senior Grand Master of American Kenpo.

Many of Ed Parker's black belts, both Junior as well as Senior, have founded some type of American Kenpo version, and that some, not all, are not quite fond of each other for some reason or another. This became quite evident and apparent very shortly after Ed Parker passed away.

So, 50K versions might be not an exaggeration at all...maybe!!

Wow ... 50000 versions !!! Thanks for clarification sensei8

I was looking at it for my daughter as they offer school pickup, afterschool care and Kenpo classes which is a new idea I haven't seen in any dojo in Sydney before !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: