Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repetition is the mother of skill.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that consistency in training is preferable to long hours. If one is training for a fight in a 6 week training camp, the body can handle that. However, if a person intends long days of hard training for months/years, one becomes much more susceptible to injury & burnout. Consistency in training without fear of the taking occasional time off, is the best way to grow one's skillset.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
Repetition is the mother of skill.

Solid post!!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on this is that it is like anything in life. It is a mix of natural ability, repetitions, and quality. I am a decent pistol shot without much practice. If I practice 10,000 shots badly I have only developed bad habits that need to be broken. I would get more benefit from 1,000 shots practiced with proper grip, and trigger control.
I have never been called graceful. At this point in time I feel like Godzilla tramping around Tokyo when doing my kata. I can only be amazed at the grace and smoothness others achieve. I know with time and QUALITY practice I will get better.

My biggest problem right now is it feels like it takes an hour for my hips to loosen up.

When I tested for yellow the dojo was empty and my mother had my daughter so I got to spend 3 hours before class practicing. I worked at a moderate pace switching between kicks, kata, and conditioning. I felt so good by the time testing started.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The more one trains the better one becomes.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask any Olympic athlete, I'm guessing they will say yes......

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Are long hours necessary to be good? Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
There seems to be a common opinion that to gain any significant and worthwhile skill in martial arts, it is necessary to spend hours training everyday requiring as much time as a regular job.

Does this make sense or is it a kind of misconception? Does it mean that those who for any reason are unable to make martial arts their entire life cannot expect to ever reach a high level of skill?

I believe it to be true at least in my case it is. My wife often describes my training as a part time job. I will say for the arts with less depth, there may not be an issue but for myself, speaking of kata, as you get closer to that shodan, there's a nuance involved that seems unlikely to be achieved without reinforcement.

I could spend 5-6 hours a week on sanchin and not scratch the surface.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long hours training doesn't come with guarantees, usually that person is open to injuries and setbacks.

Quality training with an experienced instructor does improve your chances of gaining higher standards quicker.

Training intelligently and safely with attainable goals in mind is advisable.

What are your martial art goals? That is the question you need to ask yourself. Once you know what your goal is then making the approximate steps to meet it, will give you the correct answer to how long you need to train.

My personal goal is to maintain my health, therefore I train all day in the A B C method, which is Always Be Conditioning.

So when cleaning house (wearing a backpack full of weights and wearing ankle weights also) or watching TV I'm doing something constructive for my health, such as stretching, seems like a bit of a double life.

When I not conditioning I'm actually doing martial arts alone or teaching it, for at least two hours every day = 60hrs a month.

Shaolin fighting monks condition all day, they say that the more they do the happier they are!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality long hours over time are not required, however, if one's going to be accumulating some long hours, over time, it would serve ones MA betterment much better if it was quality.

Quality begets good!!

gunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good practice makes perfect. Bad practice reinforces bad habits.

I'm a proponent of shorter quality reps. There is no benefit to tired sloppy techniques. This is why in other sports, like baseball, players don't take batting practice for hours on end. It's much more beneficial to swing / kick properly to train muscle memory than to let your muscles remember a sloppy technique resulting from a long tired workout. Better to workout more short periods than fewer long workouts.

Endurance is a different animal. There are many methods to increase endurance but science shows that HIIT training is more effective than long workouts at medium - high intensity.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: