Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Are you a top gun pilot at heart? Reply with quote

Are you really cross training or adding to your original style.

What is cross training for you, is it really crossing or is it a stop over till something else comes along?

I believe there should be some contrast in training methods to make it worth while, such as a stand up styles with a ground fighting style or something similar.

Challenging oneself outside of the comfort zone is the real test of pushing the envelope of capabilities like the jet fighter test pilots "Aviation Warriors" for example.

Bruce Lee was a type that cross trained to the extreme.

Perhaps this is why Bruce associated himself with Chuck Norris?

How do you think he (Bruce) felt about pushing his limits to higher hights.

Jet Li and Benny the Jet, both are martial artists and also both have climbed higher than most; earning a new title to their name, with the word "Jet"

What limits are you putting on yourself?

Being a Top Gun martial artists isn't easy, but you must have learned that, in your first dog fight.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is cross training for you, is it really crossing or is it a stop over till something else comes along?

For me, it's seeking out, with a high fever, all that is NOT Shindokan; to add quality to my MA betterment. Not for just a moment, and/or for only a season; but for a resolved reason.

Quote:

For the moment, medical limitations!! Sometimes I cheat...don't follow doctors orders...but I, even then, gauge myself quite carefully.

Having said that, normally I don't limit myself across the board, because limitations only task my MA betterment, and I will NOT have that. I train outside of the Shindokan circle because I WANT TO...I NEED TO...I MUST...AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO, until my last breath!!

Self limitations are for those MAists that are afraid...afraid to step outside of their comfort zone...afraid to face their own truths...afraid to learn outside of their base style, as though their style is the best, and to me, there's no such thing as the best, especially in the MA is concerned.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Quote:

For me, it's seeking out, with a high fever, all that is NOT Shindokan; to add quality to my MA betterment. Not for just a moment, and/or for only a season; but for a resolved reason.

Quote:

For the moment, medical limitations!! Sometimes I cheat...don't follow doctors orders...but I, even then, gauge myself quite carefully.

Having said that, normally I don't limit myself across the board, because limitations only task my MA betterment, and I will NOT have that. I train outside of the Shindokan circle because I WANT TO...I NEED TO...I MUST...AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO, until my last breath!!

Self limitations are for those MAists that are afraid...afraid to step outside of their comfort zone...afraid to face their own truths...afraid to learn outside of their base style, as though their style is the best, and to me, there's no such thing as the best, especially in the MA is concerned.

You are a "Jetsensei8"

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

You are a "Jetsensei8"

lol!! I appreciate the compliment!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think cross-training is about finding what works for you and adding it to your toolbox. I think if one can make it work, having two styles to go with all the time can be great, but that is time and resources based. Trying to cross-train to shore up a weakness is a good approach to take.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross training can cause internal conflicts also.

To stand in two boats at the same time can make a person fall in to deep water.

Something similar to a dog having two masters.

Cross training can also be a sign of not being adequately taught in a style so as to balance out gaps, then to seek out other styles.

A person that has a drivers license doesn't make them a race car driver.

Many martial artists are comparable to road drivers and feeling inadequate cross train with another type of vehicle.

When what they should be doing is stripping their own car/style of the unessentials and replacing standard parts for high performance ones.

In other words spend the time understanding the nuts and bolts of the style, so as know how and why it ticks.

Cross training with 100 styles a person will surely pick up some good points along the way, which would be similar to picking up the keys from a car rental; never knowing for sure what you are driving.

Understanding the underlying fundamentals of all styles such as the mechanics of martial arts then driving a rental car to any type of vehicle is possible.

When a grappler says honestly "I will eat a few shots before taking the opponent to the ground"

Why eat any shots at all?

Learn how to defend shots, then take the opponent to the ground.

Many stand up fighters end up being caught in a rear naked choke.

Then learn how to defend the neck, firstly by not giving your back to the grappler or anyone for that matter.

Where the head goes the body follows, then don't allow your head to be controlled by the opponent; NEVER!

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't really "cross training" to me. Not really. There is just training. I'm not saying I'm against styles, but I am for learning. If what I am doing adds to the skills I have accumulated over time, or enhances and refines what I currently do, then it is beneficial to me. If it does not, and I at least enjoy the time on the floor, it has merit.

I don't think I'm great, or too good to learn, or above acknowledging where I learn things from. I'm just there for the skills.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
There isn't really "cross training" to me. Not really. There is just training. I'm not saying I'm against styles, but I am for learning. If what I am doing adds to the skills I have accumulated over time, or enhances and refines what I currently do, then it is beneficial to me. If it does not, and I at least enjoy the time on the floor, it has merit.

I don't think I'm great, or too good to learn, or above acknowledging where I learn things from. I'm just there for the skills.
If Bruce Lee was my teacher, I would want to learn from him on ways to win against him.

This is the way I teach my students, to learn how to defeat me and not stringing them along with 1000 techniques.

I don't want to have students hanging on to me for years on end.

I want them to learn martial art principles that last a lifetime and not with the usual concept similar to a box of puzzle pieces that takes forever to piece together.

Keep what is useful and discard the rest "Bruce Lee"

But martial artists are ironically bogged down with their boxes of puzzles trying to fit them all together, fine idea if getting old doesn't interfere with this concept.

Bruce Lee was a top gun martial artist.

My suggestion to become a top gun martial artist, then don't try to make many techniques work for you, make a difference and make a handful of techniques virtually unstoppable!!!

Bruce Lee also used the term "Organized despair" give this concept away to your opponents to live by.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
ShoriKid wrote:

If Bruce Lee was my teacher, I would want to learn from him on ways to win against him.

This is the way I teach my students, to learn how to defeat me and not stringing them along with 1000 techniques.

I don't want to have students hanging on to me for years on end.

I want them to learn martial art principles that last a lifetime and not with the usual concept similar to a box of puzzle pieces that takes forever to piece together.

Keep what is useful and discard the rest "Bruce Lee"

But martial artists are ironically bogged down with their boxes of puzzles trying to fit them all together, fine idea if getting old doesn't interfere with this concept.

Bruce Lee was a top gun martial artist.

My suggestion to become a top gun martial artist, then don't try to make many techniques work for you, make a difference and make a handful of techniques virtually unstoppable!!!

Bruce Lee also used the term "Organized despair" give this concept away to your opponents to live by.

I only recently learned about Bruce Lee as a person. He's probably one of the most inspirational people I've ever heard about.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee certainly is inspirational for martial artists but more importantly, how to express oneself honestly, might be more difficult to do than just being inspired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: