Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiraka wrote:
Thanks for your replies, it makes a lot more sense now. I was viewing all karate styles as a single form.
Again, thanks for all your replies, very helpful

Don't be a stranger, good people here......

kiwiraka
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu and Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:

Don't be a stranger, good people here......

Ive been looking through a lot of threads, looks like a friendly and helpful community
Out of interest, where in NZ are you located?

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Canterbury.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you walk into a dojo/dojang of a different style (even within the same Art) it's possible to be asked to not wear that rank. I've had the opposite situation happen to me. I had a late friend who was the #2 man in his system of Karate. He asked me (as a TKD guy) to come & teach his kids how to kick. He asked me to wear a gi w/ his style's patches, but also, my style's BB. I did as he asked, but always felt odd about that. I realize that, as a guest instructor, I might confuse his students. I joined them in kata, but always felt odd that I was not a BB in his style, yet he treated me as one of his own. I was honored, but it never felt comfortable.

In TKD, more often than not, whatever belt has been earned elsewhere is worn by the transfer student, however testing doesn't happen until an understanding of "how things are done" at that particular dojang. As a Kukki-TKD guy, if I went to an ATA or an ITF school, I may not be received as openly. I have to be aware of that possibility.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
When you walk into a dojo/dojang of a different style (even within the same Art) it's possible to be asked to not wear that rank. I've had the opposite situation happen to me. I had a late friend who was the #2 man in his system of Karate. He asked me (as a TKD guy) to come & teach his kids how to kick. He asked me to wear a gi w/ his style's patches, but also, my style's BB. I did as he asked, but always felt odd about that. I realize that, as a guest instructor, I might confuse his students. I joined them in kata, but always felt odd that I was not a BB in his style, yet he treated me as one of his own. I was honored, but it never felt comfortable.

In TKD, more often than not, whatever belt has been earned elsewhere is worn by the transfer student, however testing doesn't happen until an understanding of "how things are done" at that particular dojang. As a Kukki-TKD guy, if I went to an ATA or an ITF school, I may not be received as openly. I have to be aware of that possibility.

It seems as though you were a guest in that karate dojo, not the CI's student. There's a difference. Guest instructors from different organizations and styles of MA should wear their belt (and uniform) IMO.

In my former dojo we had a Japanese jujitsu 5th dan come in and teach us basics of his art 1 or 2 days a week. He'd also take karate classes alongside us once or twice a week. He was around for several months (he grew up in our area, moved to Japan, and was taking care of family matters here for a few months). We addressed him as Sensei and showed him respect as such. He outranked our CI, but wasn't put above him in etiquette (order of bowing in, lining up, etc.). He and my CI were exchanging ideas in MA and teaching in general. It wasn't a student/teacher relationship.

Had he signed up for classes and agreed to be a formal student, he'd have been required to wear our uniform and a white belt. He'd have surely advanced through the ranks quicker, but he wouldn't have been granted any rank without demonstrating all requirements for it.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
IcemanSK wrote:

It seems as though you were a guest in that karate dojo, not the CI's student. There's a difference. Guest instructors from different organizations and styles of MA should wear their belt (and uniform) IMO.

In my former dojo we had a Japanese jujitsu 5th dan come in and teach us basics of his art 1 or 2 days a week. He'd also take karate classes alongside us once or twice a week. He was around for several months (he grew up in our area, moved to Japan, and was taking care of family matters here for a few months). We addressed him as Sensei and showed him respect as such. He outranked our CI, but wasn't put above him in etiquette (order of bowing in, lining up, etc.). He and my CI were exchanging ideas in MA and teaching in general. It wasn't a student/teacher relationship.

Had he signed up for classes and agreed to be a formal student, he'd have been required to wear our uniform and a white belt. He'd have surely advanced through the ranks quicker, but he wouldn't have been granted any rank without demonstrating all requirements for it.

I realized that I forgot to mention the point a which it was an opposite situation for me. The sensei of this school told me that he wanted to give me full BB rank in his system (not honorary) for my help to him. I thanked him, but declined. I told him that, if I were his student, I'd wear a white belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: