Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Avoiding difficult distractions Reply with quote

This is in this section because testing time is when a martial artist is most likely to feel pressure and be distracted. What are your suggestions for going ahead with a high level and intense test without being disrupted by emotional distress?

Would/could you go through with such a test despite living through a time of emotional distress caused by grief or other serious misfortunes befalling yourself, your family or close friends?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Avoiding difficult distractions Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
This is in this section because testing time is when a martial artist is most likely to feel pressure and be distracted. What are your suggestions for going ahead with a high level and intense test without being disrupted by emotional distress?

Would/could you go through with such a test despite living through a time of emotional distress caused by grief or other serious misfortunes befalling yourself, your family or close friends?

I started grad school at Wayne State University back in Fall 2006. Winter semester 2007, I also began taking an aikido class, and loved it. I also started exploring kendo and iaido. Summer 2007 rolls around, and we lose my brother. All the martial arts stuff stopped, and I nearly flunked out of grad school.

Back then, I could not handle the distress. Hopefully I've grown enough to when something like this happens again, I will be able to persevere.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think that is a part of the test. Its easy at times to say something like "when I go to my MA class, I can leave the rest of the world behind for that hour or hour and a half, and it is such a great release for me." I'm sure many of us have said this and felt this way at some point.

But, on the other side of the coin, how many of us have actually stated that the Martial Arts are a part of who we are, part of our lifestyle, and we couldn't change it if we tried? Well, if that's the case, then we take our Martial Arts with us along with every other aspect of our lives, including the stress, the pressure, and the distractions. I think in the end, we have to decide to overcome.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tae Kwon Do classes have been a rooted part in my lifestyle for the past 2 years. If I don't go, I tend to feel a little crazy. I think things would be different for me, now.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmaster defined a belt test as, "regular things done in class under stressful conditions." The concept of "stressful" is different for every student. I once had an adult student, who was quite successful in his career, experience a lot of anxiety if I even mentioned the idea of a belt test to him. Other students do their best work in the stress of a belt test.

For some, a belt test might be a good distraction from the anxiety of a hospitalized family member, school exams, or other such stressors. For others, it might be unhelpful and even damaging to train or test during times such as these. The danger is when we put moral or value judgments on ourselves or others during these times. Saying "you must" or "you shouldn't" train/test is unhelpful. What is helpful during a stressful time is to ask oneself, "What will benefit me at this time and what are the consequences of my actions?" Missing a belt test or classes to be with family might be the better choice in the long run. Knowing how you react to stress is key.

If one is in class, but their head is on family or school or other things that bring them anxiety, that may be dangerous. If completely a task of a test helps you focus, it might be a good thing.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow the Testing Cycle to take care of itself!! In short, just execute, and don't stress or become distracted by the event. You're not expected to score 100%, so just execute with resolve.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: