Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would skip aerobics all together. I would do a light warm up maybe on the tread mill with a fast walk then maybe a light jog. Just to warm up your muscles. I wouldn't spend more than 5-7 minutes on this. Then I would hit the weights. Decide what you want. Lift heavy with low reps to build bulk. Do more reps with lighter reps to get ripped etc. After your weight workout then you can hit the treadmill again. Studies have shown by doing running at the END of your workout you burn more calories. However, if you're doing Martial Arts training also you will get most of the aerobic and anarobic excercise from that.

One thing also, DO NOT use the bicycle. It is a fact that by cycling you will LOSE flexibility. Cycling is one of the WORST exercises you can do if you're training in the Martial Arts for flexibility purposes.

Pete

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A general guideline on rep ranges:

1-6 - Strength
8-12 - Hypertrophy (size and bulk)
15+ - Endurance

Running at the end of the workout will burn more fat since the glycogen in your muscles has been used by the weightlifting, so your body will look for other sources of fuel. However, if you do intense cardio at this stage your body will look for a quick to use energy source and so will actually burn a lot more muscle than fat, so keep it gentle cardio if you want to bein the fat burning zone.

I never knew that fact about cycling and flexibility Withers, thanks very much for it. But if you stretch both before and after you cycle, won't that negate the shortening affect cycling has on the muscles?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: