Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in the process of starting a plyometric program and part of the program will be a lot of resistance training with body weight and weights. I am buying all the plyometric stuff, but for the weights I only have a 15 kg set of dumbells. Do you think its necessary to buy a barbell or could you just use to dumbells to impersanate a barbell. I don't think a bench is necessary.

THX in return

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB are great. You can do everything with them plus they are eaiser to store. Our football team is in the process of getting rid of a lot of old equipment and adding a lot more DB's.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on the effectifness of using barbells. Do you really need them for effective weightlifting. Do you think dumbells are enough?

THX in return

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbells are cool i have some 5kg i use. there good for me. i dont want to do anything heavyer just incase.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumbells are good because they force you into lifting the entire weight with that one arm. However, if you're trying to bulk up you will need barbells because you can lift more weight that way and that is the only way to gain mass.

Knuth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real good advice from Withers.

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier for a beginner to use barbell exercises because it takes less coordination.
I must take issue with the assertion that dumbells cannot build mass and strength.
If you use heavy dumbells, say 60-100 lbs. believe me your muscles WILL respond.
Also you will need a bench if you plan on doing exercises for your chest. a bench is also essential if you want to do pullovers(one of the best single exercises in my opinion)

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 ways to lift weights and thats to bulk up or to build speed and strengh. I am not intersted in bulking up I am actually trying to lose a lot of muscular bulk which I had been training for over the years which I want to get rid of to be more agaile and to build up more speed. I am doing plyometrics at the moment and I have never been this strong but I have lost quite a bit of muscular bulk. Speed and strengh is so much better than carrying around a big muscular body and eating a lot so you get bigger, well thats my experiance. All my equipment consists of a chin up bar, a set of dumbells 15 kg, skipping rope, plyometric box and a medicine ball. I am currently going to buy either a punch bag, paddle witch fits to the wall, or a set of 50 kg barbells. Which do you think I should buy.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punch bag for birthday, buy paddle, Weights for christmas.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided that I'm gonna buy a 6 ft punch bag and throw in a paddle with it. 15 kg is enough for me anyway I think. I'v only used my dumbells to acheive my muscular bulk without using barbells. The only reasen for using barbells is that you can load more weight on to them. I'll save barbells for when my weights really get to easy for me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: