Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sauzin
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Kenpo, Goju-Ryu, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you very much for the replies thus far. I understand that all of these ranks are truly based on skill, dedication, contribution, and personal character. However most systems do have some kind of time/progression "guideline" and these replies are greatly aiding my research on this.

Thank-you again,

-Paul Holsinger

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is pretty similar to what most people have posted. Average time to 1st dan is about 4-5 years. You have to have a minimum of another 2 years regular training to be allowed to test for 2nd dan, and a minimum of 3 years on top of that to test for Sandan. To test for Yondan you have to be over 25 and registered judge or referee. To have Godan you have to be over 30 and have your own club (they prefer it if you're an instructor when you test for Yondan too).
We have a junior black belt system. Under 16's can earn a junior 1st dan. No more dan grades are permitted for juniors. When a junior BB reaches 16, they have to re-test in order to be able to keep their BB status.

Sheffield Steelers!

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seven years for us to become shodan (youngters could take more time, They are not alowed to get the rank until they are 18, so it could be 9-10 years for them). For lower ranks we can test twice a year, after 6 kyu once a year (or it could take more if you are not prepared)

informer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one guy in Burlington Ontario Canada who went from 3rd dan to 7th dan. Then 7th-8th in 2 years and 2 years later to 9th dan.

Would you consider his rank legit? also is it common to be at 9th dan at only 45 years of age with less than 25 years total time training?

afitzwater
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: ToraSamaDo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shodan is 4 years minimum and must be either 18 or have the maturity level of an adult.

Nidan is 2-3 years depending on how well you develop.

I can't say for the rest though I think Sandan is 3-4 years since I've been in the rank for 3 years.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Informer, I would be EXTREMELY suspect of anyone with credentials like that. You can't usually go from 3rd dan to 4th dan in under 3 to 5 years. From 3rd dan to 5th dan is the time you are learning the very fine points of a given art. I realize that I am generalizing based on my knowledge of some of the other "legitimate" arts that I'm more familiar with. You can't learn these fine points much less be at a master instructor level in 2 years.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: