Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Blind Kicks? Reply with quote

I am told in our style of Kumite competitions that blind kicks are not allowed. On the surface this seems pretty clear what you can and can't do. If you don't see the kick landing it is blind, but:

I want to add some spinning kicks to my moves just as a surprise I can use on occasion. I have consulted some of my Sensai's about the spinning hook back kick. They say it is ok as long as I see it landing, but I am wondering if I use it in a competition if they may think I cannot see it land and get disqualified?

Is anyone here bound by this rule and do you have any experience with ruling on using these kicks?

*Practice is the key* ^_^
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: No style

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am told in our style of Kumite competitions that blind kicks are not allowed. On the surface this seems pretty clear what you can and can't do. If you don't see the kick landing it is blind, but:

I want to add some spinning kicks to my moves just as a surprise I can use on occasion. I have consulted some of my Sensai's about the spinning hook back kick. They say it is ok as long as I see it landing, but I am wondering if I use it in a competition if they may think I cannot see it land and get disqualified?"

Well like me am not allowed to use any spinning kick machine gun punch axe kicked my sensei said when you grade to brown belt you are allow so am waiting about 1 and a half years time.

Is anyone here bound by this rule and do you have any experience with ruling on using these kicks?
I love one
That one is myself just have been turn down....

Shogun
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo, Wushu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know- thats the thing with judges, its all about what position you are in, in relation to them. In Kenpo, I have always been taught to snap the head around first- the body will follow. As long as you make it obvious that you are in fact looking (body posture upright, your head isnt down where your belt knot is normally) then i would say you are ok. In alot of sparring matches, spin kicks are actually encouraged because of the difficulty, and you get more points for them.

Toast
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do: Olympic/ Open Styles; Ju- Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a pretty tight rule to get around...
Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier
"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, different tournaments will have different rules, so all I can speak for are the ones that I personally judge and referee.

Whether punches or kicks, blind techniques are are dangerous..thus they are not allowed at (some?) tournaments. The tournaments I work at, you will be given one warning for your first blind technique, and the second one will disqualify you from that match. If on your next match, you continue to throw blind techniques, you could possibly be disqualified from the rest of the sparring competition.

I generally am the center ref in sparring tournaments, and judge everything from beginning kids, to adult black belts. yes, I've disqualified people that continually use blind techniques, because I've seen people knock out their opponents teeth, break noses, injure knees, crack ribs, etc by doing them. I think it's a good rule and should be strictly enforced.

Now, if you're talking full contact bouts..sure, whatever works!

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
Of course, different tournaments will have different rules, so all I can speak for are the ones that I personally judge and referee.

Whether punches or kicks, blind techniques are are dangerous..thus they are not allowed at (some?) tournaments. The tournaments I work at, you will be given one warning for your first blind technique, and the second one will disqualify you from that match. If on your next match, you continue to throw blind techniques, you could possibly be disqualified from the rest of the sparring competition.

I generally am the center ref in sparring tournaments, and judge everything from beginning kids, to adult black belts. yes, I've disqualified people that continually use blind techniques, because I've seen people knock out their opponents teeth, break noses, injure knees, crack ribs, etc by doing them. I think it's a good rule and should be strictly enforced.

Thank you for your input. Your experience is likely very applicable due to being part of the same style of Karate Shorin-Ryu.

The spinning hook kick I would like to use should not be blind but could be if a mistake is made. I just would like to have an extra twist I could through in once and a while.

Currently really the only kicks I would be able to use would be:
- front kick
- side kick
- round house kick
- crescent kick
- hook kick

Axe kicks are stricktly forbidden as well as leg sweeps, strikes to joints, back often the face (sometimes light contact allowed).

I have mentioned in other threads here that I have limited kick height, so just thinking about other ones I could use until my stretching gets my kick up higher.

Thanks again.

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with tournaments you have to know where you were aiming to score the point. Blind technique does not count. I have also referred matches...you can defintely tell when someone has thrown a blind technique. It is also for the safety of the competitors to deter this type of technique.

Akima
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to learn to get your head around at the last second, or lead with your head and spin very fast.
Depending on the rules, blind techniques can cost your points. Or, I have seen fighters take blind techniques personal and hit back, hard DQn themselves.
Spinning tehcniques are great, learning to use them in competition takes time.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: