Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treebranch is correct. BJJ will show you how to set up your strikes on the ground, and how to avoid them when doing a takedown but that's about it.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyS wrote:
Treebranch is correct. BJJ will show you how to set up your strikes on the ground, and how to avoid them when doing a takedown but that's about it.

What about Royces infamous knee kick

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kick is more of a way to set up the takedown by forcing the person to withdraw their forward leg thus bringing both of their feet together.

There is also the use of the heel stomp when getting back to your feet as used by Rickson against Funaki.

There are some strikes in BJJ, but it's a grappling based art more than a striking art.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyS wrote:
The kick is more of a way to set up the takedown by forcing the person to withdraw their forward leg thus bringing both of their feet together.

There is also the use of the heel stomp when getting back to your feet as used by Rickson against Funaki.

There are some strikes in BJJ, but it's a grappling based art more than a striking art.

Yes I know. Most of the strikes are to set something up.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, they don't focus on it as much as some other arts. But nevertheless, when they aren't practising for an upcoming tournament, they use strikes too.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think since BJJ was introduced to the world by UFC things have changed a bit. Other fighters have found ways of countering the takedowns or simply the MMA's have become the norm for NHB fights. I think since BJJ is still a young art it should still be evolving and learning from it's short coming and adapt. I think they should go back to traditional Jujutsu and put some of the strikes back into it as well as some of the kicks. I think the Gracies came up with a very good grappling system but there is always room for improvement. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I'm just giving an objective opinion.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

btroadman
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Brazilian Jujutsu Reply with quote

King of Fighters wrote:
Does bjj have any punches, kicks, knees, elbows or anything like that? Im thinking of taking it but i wont take an art unless it has striking. I used to take judo before muay thai and i didnt like it because there was no striking and it never seemed effiective in any of the fights i was in. But now my muay thai class is closing and im looking for something else and 2 different places have bjj. so does it?

To answer the original question of this post......If you are looking for something along the MuyThai lines then just BJJ is not for you. You should definitely try a couple classes before you dismiss the idea solely on the basis that it has very few to no striking. You might be surprised how much you enjoy the art. If you need striking try a good Vale Tudo (Even though most don't consider it a martial art) school, at most of them they will include grappling and striking.
Kickboxing

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you are going to compete in NHB tournaments then Btroadman has a good point. If you don't want to mix MA's than just study MA's that are complete.

Sens55
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MKD TKD & AJJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other styles of Ju Jitsu besides BJJ. I went to a few months of training in BJJ but found a school closer that has "American Ju Jitsu". The ground stuff is basically the same but it also has elements of american boxing and kickboxing in it. Heck the first time I went I thought it was a boxing gym because that was the focus of that class. It's not as high profile as BJJ (in fact it's pretty small), but it's design was to make it more complete.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically it's a MMA school they named American Ju Jitsu.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: