Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read all these sport and fitness books and they all say the more you eat and the more you train the bigger you get. This is true but what I don't think is true is that it also makes you stronger.

You take a loook at Bruce Lee for instance. He only weighed 7 and a half stone, yet he beat 6 ft bodt builders up. Also we can take sherepas for instance. There tiny people and have very small muscular bulk and are very skinny looking. Yet they can take those huge weights with ease whereas there was this ex olympic weightlifter with them and he could only take the weight for about 3 steps until he had to get one of the sherepas to take it off him.

Can someone explain why is this.

14 years old

[ This Message was edited by: Eye of the Tiger on 2002-05-30 09:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Eye of the Tiger on 2002-05-30 10:05 ]

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee built up body builders now, did he? Well he's won fights against many largely built men yes, boxers and the like, but that can not be solely put on strength, its due to technique and strategy also.

By the way, bodybuilders train for muscle size and aesthetic qualities moreso than strength, endurance, or speed. They weighttrain to cause hypertrophy and increase muscle size, more than to increase strength.

As a general rule, smaller people tend to be stronger pound for pound - I can't remember why exactly though, sorry. Bruce Lee strained for strength and speed, not bulging biceps - alongside his small frame thats sure fire to be strong pound-for-pound.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherpers are Naples people that carry the heavy loads of equipment when climbers come to the Himaleyers. I would like to reseach that pound for pound thing coz my friend has a huge frame and is really big and strong and I can beat the krap out of him and I'm kind of a medium frame. And I would take that laughing thing back because that actually happend.Everything I say in this forum is no bull****. It was on a film which I think was called something like dragon where it told the true story of Bruce Lee played by another actor, and this was according to the wifes autobiograthy of him.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some stuff in the internal arts section about Bruce lee's ki.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to gain size (muscle mass) you need to lift heavy weights period. Will this make you a better fighter??? Of course not. You will def. get stronger but that will not make you fight better. Just because you are big doesn't make you tough.

tsdstud
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to lift tomorrow. There's different ways to lift for different types of things. You can lift for speed and strength or u can lift for bulk. It all depends on how you lift, your regimen and what you're eating

NST-003
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey pal.

Listen. as of this week i am starting to train for my 1st dan black belt. i dont know when the exam will be but i am sure i have around 6-10 months left.

Now i am not fat and neither skinny but i am going to start gym. now what do u think would be best for me. My aim is to be fast / flexible & agile. I bought this book called SPORT STRETCH amazing book. I want to be able to go down as far as possible towards a box / side split. Can you help me please. give me some information / tips which i can start using.

thanks.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, NST, welcome to Karateforums - feel free to make a post in the Introductions section to tell us something about yourself.

Now, if you are after speed, agility, and flexibility then you will want to mainly train with pylometric exercises and do plenty of stretching. I'm sure you can find info to both by performing a search (use the bottom at the top right) and entering in pylometrics, or flexibility. If you have any other questions afterwards, feel free to ask here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plyometrics is all about power, speed and strengh and that is the best thing for what your looking for. I suggest you buy ' Jumping into Plyometrics' by Donald A Chu, PhD

OldRookie
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do (Choong Sil)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lifted weights & been into non-competitive bodybuilding since age 17. Now that I started back into martial arts this year I have dropped all but a few basics in my weight training. Speaking just for myself-I like the slimmer me.....I have lost muscle mass of course but-I will sacrifice my years of bulking & sweating in the gym if it will help my speed & endurance in TKD

[ This Message was edited by: OldRookie on 2002-06-02 16:20 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: