Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Can Karate forfill the mind body and spirit Reply with quote

Can karate forfill the mind, body and spirit. Or is this concept only a myth. Don't we need many things to forfill our lives with other than karate. I'm sure that Karate can have health advantages. For the mind the discipline aspect works for me. The spirit issue, Karate lifting my spirit. Personally that one is questionable.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people's level of commitment may be different to mine. I train in the dojo 8 hrs a week and I spend some time training at home most evenings, rarely for more than an hour.
I do it simply because I enjoy it. I'd rather train than watch another cooking/baking/talent show with the mrs. She doesn't want me there anyway 😂

I've only been training 2 years but don't feel any enlightenment and I don't expect to. I feel a deep satisfaction from improving my skills, I feel healthier and I think having time to switch my brain from work/dad/husband to karate mode is good for my mental health.

I think if I immersed myself in some other pursuit I'd find the same benefits. Karate compliments my life very nicely and that's all I want from it.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends how you define spiritually? Does it make me want to sit down and meditate or chant to a particular Deity? Then, the answer is no, it doesn't. Do I come out of a class on a high and feeling good about myself and feeling connected to others in the class? Then, the answer is yes, it does. Also small things about me have changed since restarting my MA journey, I have a self confidence in a lot of things now, whereas before I was a very shy person. I don't find myself as quick to anger about things that would annoy me before. All in all, I find myself more personable in general. I've even been promoted at work and, I wonder if that would've happened if not for Karate. So, I think it all comes down to how one would define "spirituality" I'm not a religious person but, I feel my "inner self" has changed and, to me, ones inner self is their spirit. Others may disagree, that's just my two cents worth.

Mo.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts in the East are connected to their faith also. Are we in the West maybe missing out on the mind and body connected to our spirit? Personally at some brief moments while competing in martial art tournaments consciously or unconsciously I have connect the three. These experiences have expanded my perceptions of reality to a higher level. Maybe we in the West connect the idea of our spirit more with happiness than with spirituality.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Karate you can be fulfilled in Mind, Body and Spirit. It purely depends on your willingness to let into your heart, soul and mind. Spiritually can take many forms, not like in the west where it seems like it is purely only in Religious Views (i.e. Christianity).

For me Spirituality it can be seen as awareness of being a small piece in a larger bit of work, but the openness and interconnectedness with everything from a connection to people to the smallest ant.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate is just a thing; nothing more and certainly nothing less!! Karate, for me, is everything, but, it's just a thing...a want...not a need. Does it fulfill me? No! Not even close!

Yes, it's all I know...it's all that I'm good at...it's all that I do...it's my full time occupation. I enjoy Karate, but while I enjoy Karate, it'll take much more to fulfill me. My wife and my kids; they fulfill me!! My God; he fulfills me!! My students; they fulfill me!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what the meaning of training and martial arts are to the one involved. For some people it is just a physical activity, a sport or a hobby. For others it may be a lifetime endeavour with goals of personal betterment. What ever the case, it is rarely sufficient all by itself to truly make a fully happy and content life.

Everyone needs other people to interact and have social relationships to be in good moral, mental and spiritual health. Countless other intangible things are also very important and will be different according to each person's background and personality.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like anything else, everyone's experience is different. Would training in martial arts benefit most people in mind, body, and spirit? I believe so.

"Spirit" seems to be the most questionable one. In my opinion, the sense of family and community that you get from being part of a dojo is good for ones spirit, or at least that's the ideal. Obviously, not everyone fits into every group and not every group will feel like a family, but I would bet that most do for most of its longtime members.

A dictionary definition of spirit includes "the nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul." A good martial arts instructor should help develop and strengthen a student's character, if for no other reason than to reduce the chance that the power being taught will be misused.

PhilC
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: ShotoKan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in Zen philosophy.

For me, Karate does satisfy mind, body and spirit.

For me, the study of Karate is learning to do one thing well. The thing I am doing at that time. Living in the moment.

Also, life is learning to do one thing well. The thing I am doing at that time. Living in the moment.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilC wrote:
I'm interested in Zen philosophy.

For me, Karate does satisfy mind, body and spirit.

For me, the study of Karate is learning to do one thing well. The thing I am doing at that time. Living in the moment.

Also, life is learning to do one thing well. The thing I am doing at that time. Living in the moment.

I like your train of thought

Head over to the Introductions Section and introduce yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: