Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Cardio w/ Injured Leg? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any cardio I can do while I have a pulled hamstring? I pulled it about a month ago and havent been able to work out much. I dont want to become fat while I cant really use my leg. I can only run short distances at a low speed. I guess that would be a jog then wouldnt it.... yup. Ive been trying to think of things on my own, but Im drawing a blank. Ive gone on a diet to slow any weight gain. Please help!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blade13 on 2002-06-10 03:13 ]</font>

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had that forsight when I pulled mine. I went from 265 to right at 300 in the 6 months I was out. Im now 315 so I never lost it after I got better. Hate to paint that pic of doom and gloom.

Can you swim or ride a bike? That is two things I never tried by my brother said guys at WVU do that a lot when they pull hamstrings.

Good luck...

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wonderful tool called a UBE. That is upper body ergometer; kind of an exercise bike for the arms. It has a nice seat and extremely adjustable hand cranks. Unfortunately the are difficult to find.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those suggestions are right on target for getting a good cardio workout utilizing the upper body while your ham string heals.
When and if you do swim, the breast stroke and back stroke should allow you to get a cardiovascular workout using your arms instead of your legs.
Combine some endurance work by doing some paddle sports too like canoeing or kayaking too!

Once you experience the pain of an injured hamstring, you might want to educate yourself on ways to avoid that in the future. One simple way is to maintain flexibility and balance. Tight muscles can cause imbalances in your body that could lead to injuries. For example, if your quadriceps (front of the leg) are stronger than your hamstrings (back of the leg), you risk a strain or even a rupture of your hamstrings.
Strengthening ALL of your muscle groups will reduce any muscle imbalances that may cause other muscles of your body to overcompensate for that weakness.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend to anyone and everyone a very good book - "Sports Injuries" by Malcolm Read. It has extensive diagnostic sections with advice for the amateur and professional and tells you soon enough when to see a health care professional!

However it also has a very useful feature of rehab ladders to get you back from your injury and takes it nice and slow.

I highly recommend it and have also seen it in quite a few physiotherapists' offices.

Amazon.co.uk definitely do it but I'm sure you can get it from any good bookshop.

[sorry if this is spam but the book really is that good!]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a style of stationary bike that might prove usefull in such situations as well. Instead of regular handlebars they have rowing handles connected to the pedals. So that you can do an all lowerbody workout, an all upperbody workout or just use all four limbs together. Personally I find them extrememely usefull. I have had mine for about 14 years now. Just don't plan on doing a lot of reading on it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: