Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Clinch Reply with quote

Can a muay thai practicioner please explain the basic principles of the clinch and "neck wrestling" ??

thanks alot

Justfulwardog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Boxing/Ryu Kyu Kempo/Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in muay tai, but I do study it. Since I am a kickboxer that fights by muay tai rules most of the time. The clinch: The basic principles of the clinch are to clasp your hands behind the head. With one palm facing up and the other one down, on top of each other. You then squeeze your elbows together, cutting off some of the blood supply to the brain. At the same time you want to lever there head to the side, to throw them off balance. Where your head goes, your body follows. All of this while throwing knees.

Hope that I have been helpful.

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for your reply Justfulwardog.

little bully
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not meant to be "neck wrestling" at all it's meant to be jockeying for control of your opponent so you can land a knee attack. it's more than just neck involved, it's nice to control the head as you may then control the directon of your opponent. but you can clinch the body as well. if you want more info i am happy to write it out, i just didn't know how much info you were looking for.

hopefully that explains it better.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justfulwardog wrote:
The clinch: The basic principles of the clinch are to clasp your hands behind the head.

To be more exact, behind the crown of the head. If you are too low, your opponent will be able to lift his head, and you will not have control of it, or the rest of him.

With one palm facing up and the other one down, on top of each other.

not sure what you mean one palm up and one down, but there is no one method to clasp. many people put one one hand inside the other and clasp them around the crown of the head. Some people interlock their hands with a monkey grip (thumbs stay tight, as opposed to wrapped around the other hand). Some interlock their fingers, but that's bad, as they run the risk of getting them broken if their opponent is able to raise his head.

At the same time you want to lever there head to the side, to throw them off balance. Where your head goes, your body follows. All of this while throwing knees.

Not only knees - sweeps, elbows, etc.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: