Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Akima
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Comparing styles vs comparing fighters why both are valuable Reply with quote

Recently, it came to my attention that comparing fighters, such as Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris, was discouraged on this site. However, comparing styles for strengths and weakness is acceptable.
I'm Ok with that, But I want to point out why comparing fighters is just as important.
I can argue Karate vs Kung fu, BBj vs judo, Boxing Vs. tkd all day here. You can compare the styles, and see the strengths and weaknesses of each style.
But you can also argue that each individual can bring their own persona to a style. What succeeds for one fighter, will not succeed for another. One BBj guy's particular way of fighting may work on one fighter, But there may be a Judo guy who's personal style may confound him. Make his style not work on that individual.

Bruce Lee spoke a lot on this, finding the style of fighting that works for you, meaning bringing the individual into the style. "being water" as he said. This applies to being able to adapt your style for specif fighters, as well as finding a style that in general works for you.

Morover, as MMa becomes more popular, and more people study more than one art, comparing styles becomes obsolete. You have to compare the indivdual styles of each fighter because those stsyles are increasingly becoming Unique to each fighter.

I understand why a "who would win Chuck or Bruce" poll may not be acceptable. But how about "who would win...and Why" Compare why we think Chuck's individual style of fighting would be effective or not vs Bruce's Personal style?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussing the difference in styles between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris is acceptable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Akima
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok good
Then I say Bruce, because Chuck had a good reach, and strong kicks, But Buce had a great ablity of getting inside on the inside of larger opponets. bruce also had a more rounded style, High kicks, excellent hand techniques and SPEED!
Chuck's style by the late 1960's was still very Korean. I just think Bruce's adapative qualities and speed would have made the difference.
I will say this, Chuck could take a beating though, so Bruce would have to work at it.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce. Just look at Return of the Dragon.

shazaam
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Karate, Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akima, I like the way you think.

Akima
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, we love debates. There is no discussion without a difference of opinion. However, all that we try to ensure is that the debate stays productive. No personal attacks, no profanity... so on and so forth. We don't want a "Would Chuck Norris kill Bruce Lee or what?" type of thread, which is what the other one was becoming. "Chuck would beat him." etc. We don't want to see that.

Comparing the differences between fighting styles and between arts... weaknesses and strengths... can be a very interesting discussion indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

shazaam
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Karate, Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
You see, we love debates. There is no discussion without a difference of opinion. However, all that we try to ensure is that the debate stays productive. No personal attacks, no profanity... so on and so forth. We don't want a "Would Chuck Norris kill Bruce Lee or what?" type of thread, which is what the other one was becoming. "Chuck would beat him." etc. We don't want to see that.

Comparing the differences between fighting styles and between arts... weaknesses and strengths... can be a very interesting discussion indeed.

this website is like manna from....well, you know

unlike some of those "other" martial arts websites...

I'd have to go with Bruce Lee. At that time, westerners just did not know how to fight. In time we have caught up though.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, remember... this thread is not/cannot be about picking a fighter. "I'd take Bruce," etc. That isn't enough. Like I said, comparisons of styles and strengths and weaknesses, that's what we want to see.

Thanks.

Akima
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please state why one would beat the other.
And chuck was pretty bad * by then even if the rest of the western world was not.
He was a very accomplished Martial artists. I just think Bruce's style of getting inside would have tip the balance in his favor. Besides. would chuck have trianed with Bruce if he could beat him? I don't think so.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: